Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 3 day solo camping trip  (Read 560 times)

Offline Francois

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 xcx
3 day solo camping trip
« on: October 26, 2020, 02:12:50 PM »
Could not find anyone to join me on a trip so decided to do it solo.
Was a bit nervous as the route I was choosing, especially the 1st day, was completely unknown and remote so did not know what to expect.
To add to this it is not a route with lots of traffic, and no mobile reception.
Butt hey the Tiger XCX is happiest on dirt roads.

Day 1:
Cape Town to Touws Rivier on borning tar road, from there hit the dirt road into Anysberg.
Anysberg is currently closed for accommodation due to a drought but are allowed to drive through the park.
From there headed to accommodation on a farm just outside Seweweekspoort Pass.

Day 2:
Started a bit later as only had to do about 250km to Montagu.
Just outside the entrance to Seweweekspoort pass I noticed I am losing pressure on the back wheel and turned out to be a flat wheel.
After changing the flat went through Seweweekspoort pass and onto Ladismith via back roads.
From Ladismith baclk roads to Ouberg Pass (there is also a Ouberg Pass outside Sutherland) and over the not so well known Joubertspoort Pass into Montagu.

Day 3:
As I left the camp site I again noticed on tyre pressure monitor that I am loosing pressure on the back wheel.
Turned out I made a massive rookie mistake when fixing the flat the previous day, did not check inside of tyre for any protrusions.
There was a small piece of nail still inside the tyre, amazing that it did not cause a flat after I fixed the puncture the day before, still did about 240km.
From Montagu was dirt roads till Rooiberg where I turned into the Nuy Valley onto dirt road all the way to the N1 outside Worcester, then tar all the way home.

/>

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Re: 3 day solo camping trip
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »
Hi Francois
Another brilliant video; you are a very, very, very lucky man to have that countryside for your playground.
Stay safe.
Geoff
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Offline Francois

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
thanks for that, glad you enjoyed it.
Seems I am going to do more solo trips, my normal riding partner are about to become dad again so no riding for him for at least the next 6 months.  :001:

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Francois [+]
thanks for that, glad you enjoyed it.
Seems I am going to do more solo trips, my normal riding partner are about to become dad again so no riding for him for at least the next 6 months.  :001:

great stuff - also had a whole weekend in the dirt here in the Magalies "mountains" up north

if you are ever up in the Gauteng area, give me a shout for some dirt riding in the Vredefort Dome area, a braai and a few cold ones - have a spare room if you need a place to sleep
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:12:16 PM »
Absolutely Brilliant.  :031:
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline Francois

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
great stuff - also had a whole weekend in the dirt here in the Magalies "mountains" up north

if you are ever up in the Gauteng area, give me a shout for some dirt riding in the Vredefort Dome area, a braai and a few cold ones - have a spare room if you need a place to sleep

Thanks, so want to explore that part of the country. Only know it from my army days.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch