Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Standard 6000 mile or one year service - throttle balance read out?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
As some of you may know, had a query regarding what I thought maybe 'faltering' issues - bike just been in for service and has come back with a report which states for throttle balance - 'Untested'. The service I had booked in for, as per the sequence in the book, was the 6000 mile or one year service. The invoice is for 215. I have just come off the phone to ask why and have been told that, as the bike has only done 3743 miles, they completed an annual service. The invoice states 'annual service'. Can anyone tell me whether this is standard please? Thanks.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Standard 6000 mile or one year service - throttle balance read out?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »
Yes, and in fairness to your dealer the throttle balance isn't an annual service item ... though if you mentioned it requesting they investigate then I would have expected them to look at it, even at a small additional charge. Also now in theory if for example you now hit the 6k in say 3 months time they expect you to take it back and then pay for a 6k service. Just as they schedule a 12 month annual service if you don't reach the 6k they conversely expect you to take it in for a 6k as soon as you get there if faster than 12 months. So theoretically if you rode 18k a year they would expect you to pay for a 6k, 12k and 6k service in the 12 month period. :005:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 03:01:44 PM »
I know they like to quote the phrase..."every xxx miles or yyy years, whichever is sooner" but I recently found an official Triumph document that listed the 'annual' service options if less than 'xxx' miles, which is pretty-much how my dealer handles my servicing.

Yesterday I deleted my entire 'downloads' folder (deliberately) so now I'll have to go and search for it again.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Thripster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:30 PM »
Thanks folks,

Don't worry if you are looking for the service schedule 800XC as I have a copy. It does show that there is no throttle balance for an annual  service. I just thought, ignoranttly as it tuns out, that when the service book says '6,000 miles or 1 year' that the tests pertaining to the 6000 miles would be done. And I agree with Stevie P that it now means, when I have done another 2300 miles they will expect me to fork out another 250 (on top of today's 215) to keep the bike in warranty. Not a situation I care much for (particularly as I had asked them to look out for 'faltering' issues).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:24:15 PM by Thripster »

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »
Your story matches exactly my experience with a wellingborough dealer. "saved you some money" ha ha.

Also DRZ400sm for forest tracks, previous bikes:- Honda SS50, BSA 250SS80, Yamaha RD125, Yamaha TY250, Honda CBR600, Honda Africa Twin XRV750, Kawasaki KMX200, Kawasaki KDX200, Kawasaki KLX250

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 05:18:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Thripster [+]
Don't worry if you are looking for the service schedule 800XC as I have a copy.
Thanks, but it's not the service schedule or check sheet that I was referring to (I have several versions of those). The document I found was (I think) for dealers and lists the standard schedules but also recommended reduced annual checks for bikes that haven't covered, say, 6000 miles that year. In other words, a more common sense approach to annual servicing for low mileage users.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »
I don't know what the law is in your neighborhood but in mine you don't have to have the routine maintenance done at a dealer in order to keep the guarantee in force. As long as you can show receipts for oil and other needed items to do the maintenance the guarantee remains.

Chico

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Thripster [+]
The invoice states 'annual service'.

What is done on an annual service, other than oil & filter change?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 05:42:29 PM »
The main difference between the annual and 6k services is the work that has to be done on the throttle body, including checking and adjusting the balance, and also checking the spark plugs. However, this adds a considerable amount of labour to remove the fuel tank and the air box.

If it were me, I think I would be tempted to settle for annual services (until 12k miles) especially if a simple diagnostic check using TigerTool or equivalent showed the throttle balance was still ok. I would definitely not worry about the plug check until I got to 12k! As long as the bike receives regular services, I don't think it should affect a 3 year warranty.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
I don't think it should affect a 3 year warranty.

The standard Triumph warranty is 2yrs. But they have recently introduced an extended warranty option of 250 for 1 extra year or 400 for 2 extra years, which certainly wasn't around or mentioned back in 2015.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics