Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Standard 6000 mile or one year service - throttle balance read out?  (Read 828 times)

Online Thripster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Standard 6000 mile or one year service - throttle balance read out?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 07:20:06 PM »
Interesting, as in the service book I now have a stamp from the dealer under a heading of ' 6000 miles or 1 year'. A new owner would not know whether this service resulted in an oil and filter change plus a few other checks or the enhanced service with throttle balance. To my mind, (a) the service schedule should be printed in the service book and (b) given that I had discussed my concerns when booking it in perhaps it would have been nice to have been told that throttle balance would not be completed for the service they had it booked in for, particularly as I had told them I had already changed oil and filter.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 08:01:06 PM »
It's very unlikely that the throttles would need balancing at your low mileage - mine were still basically ok at 12k miles. However, it is a 2 minute job for the balance to be checked with a diagnostic tool and I'm surprised the dealer didn't do this. My service schedule indicates that this should be done at each service?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Online Thripster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 08:08:41 PM »
Throttle balance not included on service schedule for item described as 'Annual Service'

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 08:41:54 PM »
Yes but running an Autoscan is and this should yield whether the throttles are in balance or not.

Online Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 10:32:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Thripster [+]
Interesting, as in the service book I now have a stamp from the dealer under a heading of ' 6000 miles or 1 year'. A new owner would not know whether this service resulted in an oil and filter change plus a few other checks or the enhanced service with throttle balance. To my mind, (a) the service schedule should be printed in the service book and (b) given that I had discussed my concerns when booking it in perhaps it would have been nice to have been told that throttle balance would not be completed for the service they had it booked in for, particularly as I had told them I had already changed oil and filter.

If I was looking at buying a used bike then a stamp in a book would not be sufficient to convince me that the bike had really been serviced. Anyone can get a stamp and ink! I would want to see the actual invoices from the workshop which should show exactly what work has been done.

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Thripster [+]
Throttle balance not included on service schedule for item described as 'Annual Service'
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
Yes but running an Autoscan is and this should yield whether the throttles are in balance or not.
:0461: ...but throttle body balance is an optional test in the Autoscan process that the dealer can choose to skip, which appears to be the case for Thripster.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 07:02:18 AM »
I've seen a few Autoscan printouts showing the throttle balance checked and can't really see why they wouldn't include this particular test. It's not as though you have to do anything special for it other than to warm up the engine first :084:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch