Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight Protectors  (Read 1420 times)

Offline NinjaWurzel

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger800xcx
Headlight Protectors
« on: October 28, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
Morning All

Just wondered if anyone uses these - metal caged version or Triumph own version and thoughts on these ?

Thanks

NW

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
Re: Headlight Protectors
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »
Yes I have one of Triumph's own clear headlamp protectors fitted, doesn't seem to affect  the light throw or spread to any great extent. Not sure about the metal ones, they must reduce and affect the headlamp beam and Murphy's law says that if a stone is thrown up it will go through a mesh!!

Offline NinjaWurzel

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger800xcx
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
Thanks - Great - my thoughts exactly

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 04:50:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by samsgrandad [+]
Yes I have one of Triumph's own clear headlamp protectors fitted,

+1. Mine has been on 5yrs no problem, though it would actually benefit from being removed and having a thorough clean and polish with perspex polish at this stage. I had it fitted at PDI as I was already aware of the likely headlight unit cost and stone risks from my Street Triple days, which I had Powerbronze headlight protectors fitted to.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 800 Road
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 02:26:48 PM »

Had my Triumph clear headlight protector fitted since new - 8 years.
Take off once a year to give the rear a good clean - so no loss of headlight efectivity.
it should be the first purchase on your accessory list  - as the headlights are ridiculously expensive to replace !
#Living the dream - Early retired

Online Jarse

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
Had a Triumph one on my Explorer a d it was grand, have now fitted a Triumph one to my 900, looks good too.

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 05:52:23 PM »
Are there any aftermarket ones available ? I think it is one of them items that I find difficult justifying the cost. I know that it would save you the expense in the long run, but still think its just a piece of Perspex with suckers🥴

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »
I have the Hepco & Becker headlight protectors fitted - do a lot of gravel/dirt roads and happy with the fact that I've not picked-up any stone chips/damage on the headlights as yet.

When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »
JonJack, the Triumph headlight protector is not just a piece of perspex with suckers.

it comprises replacement extended fixing screws for the headlight and the headlight protector has  rubber grommets in each corner which fit over the extended fixing screws making it secure but straightforward to remove.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 06:56:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonjak [+]
... still think its just a piece of Perspex with suckers🥴

You are clearly describing the cheap aftermarket ones you're looking for. The brand named ones, Triumph, H & B, R & G, Evotech, etc. are securely screwed on.

That said, I had Powerbronze headlight protectors on my 2013 'bug eyes' headlights that were simply held on with a few small pieces of supplied sticky back 3M clear velcro and they were solidly secured.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics