Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quickshifter  (Read 1246 times)

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
Re: Quickshifter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 05:18:09 PM »
My Quickshifter was free of charge .... Called my Left Foot ...  :492: :492:
My My, How Time Flies ... 61 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2020 !

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 06:39:13 AM »
Obviously not really needed for normal road use but I like the concept. Only thing that would slightly worry me is whether this leads to greater wear in the gearbox dog gears which could result in problems after large mileages. Probably not something Racers would worry about!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
Obviously not really needed for normal road use but I like the concept. Only thing that would slightly worry me is whether this leads to greater wear in the gearbox dog gears which could result in problems after large mileages. Probably not something Racers would worry about!

I also heard it's damaging the gearbox in my beginnings, but never in any dealership did I see any bad gearbox, or any of the mechanics talking about such stories, when gearboxes fail it's not because of clutchless shifting, other problems are responsible.
It's one of those old myths still prevailing, especially nowadays with the alloys and surface treatments used in engines.

People don't realize that you can put more stress on a gearbox, if you dump the clutch hard instead of easing it out, done properly clutchless means less stress, put a GoPro filming your chain and dump the clutch or do a clutchless shift, you'll see the chain wiggle hard when dumping and nothing much with clutchless.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 07:54:21 AM by Djairouks »

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
Nearly 10 years of owning the Tiger & have been clutchless shifting up & down all that time.  No issues, no bits of metal in the oil. Nothing, nada, zilch. Do it right and never a problem.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Nearly 10 years of owning the Tiger & have been clutchless shifting up & down all that time.  No issues, no bits of metal in the oil. Nothing, nada, zilch. Do it right and never a problem.

agreed and may I add, that box is so sweet that clutchless shifting is completely natural - if you do it properly and with the necessary vehicle sympathy

took me some time to get the timing/technique right for the downshifts, but now that I've got it down pat, it is a cinch to do even with heavy enduro boots while riding in the dirt
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline snowblue

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrt
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
I have a translogic quickshifter on my 800 xrt.
I love it.
Each to their own...

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 11:36:55 PM »
I can downshift clutchless but prefer not to. Upshifts I normally do clutchless, unless it's one of those when I'm cruising along and decide the next gear up would be better. Same applies to the T120. I remember during the short period when I owned both a 1050 Tiger and the 800, I didn't notice the gearbox being better when I rode the 800 but when I rode the 1050, I found that the gearbox was more clunky.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics