Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph bar risers  (Read 1963 times)

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
Re: Triumph bar risers
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
I received my 20mm sw motech risers. Looks like there is not enouugh clutch cable to allow them to work. My bike is a 2019 Tiger 800 XCA.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by rubbertoe [+]
I received my 20mm sw motech risers. Looks like there is not enouugh clutch cable to allow them to work. My bike is a 2019 Tiger 800 XCA.

If you can't get 20mm to work then the clutch cable is possibly misrouted.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 04:41:55 PM »
Bike is new and stock. I do not see anything abnormal about the routing but I am not going to mess with the problem. After much research I thought 20mm would surely not be to much to ask but I am going to leave this to the dealer when I take it in to the 6k service soon. Bike has about 5600 miles now. Dealer is a 3 hour journey to a covid ridden city. I see a steel and wire bracket that contains the clutch cable, front brake hose and the rt hand switch gear that is bolted to the top of the rt fork but removing that is a can of worms I do not want to open. Been there done that with too many previous mods on many bikes. All for the sake of raising my bars a measly inch! 

Online Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 04:49:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by rubbertoe [+]

mate - I have exactly the same bike as you and fitted the SW Motech up/back risers on top of the existing arrangement/risers and moved the handlebars back i.e. closer to me in the sitting position

also tilted the handlebars up i.e. to align the handlebar bend with the shocks - makes the standing position more comfortable (and yeah - Chris Birch recommends that setup)

all this (and it's admittedly total overkill and probably utterly meaningless faffing on my part) but I relate it because I had absolutely no problem with the length of the cables or having to faff around with any of the standard fittings/clips

thus - if the cables are properly routed on your bike (and from your description, it sounds like they are) this is a 10 min job which even a technically-challenged idiot like me could accomplish
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 01:32:49 PM »
Thanks Q, Just fitting Barkbusters for me was no easy deal. I will give the risers a go.

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 05:17:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Q [+]
... a technically-challenged idiot ...
It's good to know there are still a few of us out there...  :001:

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »
Fitted the 20 mm blocks under my 18 xca bar risers today, no issue with cable length.  Maybe worth checking if clutch adjustment just needs backing off a bit as it could be artificially tighten/legthen (housing) on full lock to left now, I ease mine a turn as I didnt have a lot of free play in the clutch cable.

The haynes manual quotes torque settings are around 35nm for the big bolt, do it to spec first, then smaller bolt is 24nm .  I put them both in hand tight (with Allen key) before torquing to help everything sit square and prevent interfering the smaller bolts insertion; it also help prevent the bar rolling round while you tighten. I tend to move between the bolt (big to big to torque, then small to small) to clamp down slowly and evenly - probably not necessary but good practise, trust me when you had bolts sheer, you become a bit anal.
There is a small cross hatch on the bar by the left hand clamp to help align the bar in stock position, or at least centred; you can rotate to a different position for preference of course.

Ive also flipped the risers round 180 which, just sitting on the bike on the centre stand, feels great - Im not sure why.  The triumph bikes at the adventure centre in Wales had the risers flipped and bars upright.

:031:

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 09:41:20 PM »
suffolktiger-thank you for the help. I have no manuals so the torque numbers I had no idea how to get them. I am concerned about the clutch cable being too short. I guess I will find out when I tear into everything.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »
One heads up. Triumph manual says to torque larger bolt before screwing in smaller bolts to prevent damage (thread striping I presume). Putting both in hand tight then torquing the larger bolts down would be putting undue strain on the smaller bolts.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline suffolktiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 18 Tiger XCA
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 09:21:35 PM »
Not if the clamp has already seated, the little bolt still needs a few turns to get to torque, so clearly isnt under load.  The clamp opening is offset for this reason.
If not comfortable with feel of things though, do it big bolt first.  Just be aware threading the small bolt can be harder and may need a bit of faffing

Recent Topics