Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oxford heated grips?  (Read 1824 times)

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Oxford heated grips?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by khemist [+]
The oem ones really are not hot enough, don't really want to scrap them as they are tidy, i'll see how i get on through the winter with them.

I've had Oxford grips on all my other bikes and they are so much hotter.

You can go for the integrated look or you can have toasty hands. There are also Daytona heated grips that have a smaller control box - one button cycling through. Have no experience with them so keeping my Oxfords!!
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline sprint

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by khemist [+]
The oem ones really are not hot enough, don't really want to scrap them as they are tidy, i'll see how i get on through the winter with them.

I've had Oxford grips on all my other bikes and they are so much hotter.

I had my 68 reg XRT grips replaced under warranty as the measured not much over 35 deg C, Oxfords on my Pan get up to 55 deg C. Replacements much the same so no point getting them replace again. Why on earth don't Triumph work with Oxford and fit some decent heated grips.

The reality is that we have all had to pay for these in the original purchase price and quiet frankly they are not fit for purpose, yes they are heated grips but next to useless.

Would be nice if you could graft the Oxford grips directly to the existing Triumph wiring and enjoy the benefit of good heated grips without the Oxford controller.   

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2020, 05:34:11 PM »
Totally agree Triumph should indeed use Oxford Heated Grips as standard instead of the substandard current fitment that has my hands numbing with cold at anything below 6 degrees.
Its not as if Oxford Products would charge them much.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »
I've got oxfords on my 2012 and when I test rode the RAlly Pro I didn't find the built in ones to be unacceptable. They don't get as hot at 100% as the Oxfords do but with decent gloves and my barkbusters I never run 100% on the oxfords anyway.

Guess I'll find out in the spring on the GT Pro ones.

Offline Miles Prower

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 xrx
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2020, 10:23:20 PM »
So I had these put on by the garage whilst doing some other bits to the bike,  and unbelievably the right gets hotter than the left.  I've got in touch with the shop and they're sending out a replacement control unit which hopefully will rectify the issue as they should heat equally... all very frustrating 🙄

Offline Sputnik

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »
Based on previous bikes I've had, maybe you genuinely have a defective pair but despite what makers or anyone else says, the right grip almost inevitably gets hotter than the left. The right one goes over the plastic throttle sleeve which provides a degree of insulation. The left goes straight onto the metal handle bar which acts as a heat sink. You can try to reduce the effect slightly by applying something like insulation tape to the bars before fitting but they are usually a very snug fit so you can't fit much in there and still get the grip on.

Someone more scientifically minded can probably explain why this won't work at all!

Offline Miles Prower

• Tiger Member
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »
Ok there's a logic to that,  however many people have these grips and have equal heat in both sides

Offline matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sputnik [+]
Based on previous bikes I've had, maybe you genuinely have a defective pair but despite what makers or anyone else says, the right grip almost inevitably gets hotter than the left. The right one goes over the plastic throttle sleeve which provides a degree of insulation. The left goes straight onto the metal handle bar which acts as a heat sink. You can try to reduce the effect slightly by applying something like insulation tape to the bars before fitting but they are usually a very snug fit so you can't fit much in there and still get the grip on.

Someone more scientifically minded can probably explain why this won't work at all!
The Right grip has been slightly cooler on my two Oxford sets. Not enough to be an issue though.

Offline Miles Prower

• Tiger Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 12:35:58 AM »
Ok so have attached the replacement control unit and we now have equal heating on both sides or as near as damn it, certainly no real perceptible difference. I would suggest therefore that anyone with in imbalance possibly has faulty equipment

Recent Topics