Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lockdown  (Read 3252 times)

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Lockdown
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »

The above is also confirmed by the BMF (British Motorcyclists Federation).
On your own.
With one other rider.
Anyone from your own household.

Just stay away from biker haunts and gatherings.

http://www.bmf.co.uk/news/show/recreational-motorcycling-in-england-permitted-under-new-measures
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '18 XRt
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »
I've found this on the latest Government New National Restrictions web-page

11. Travel
If you live in England, you must stay at home and avoid travel in the UK or overseas, unless for work, education or other legally permitted reasons. If you need to travel you should look to reduce the number of journeys if possible.

However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

travelling to work where you cannot work from home
travelling to education and for caring responsibilities
to visit those in your support bubble - or your childcare bubble for childcare
hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
to buy goods or services from premises that are open, including essential retail
to spend time or exercise outdoors - this should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
attending the care and exercise of a pet, or veterinary services

Open to interpretation.

From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Str Triple, Sprint1050, Sp/triple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt, Trident 660

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 01:12:38 PM »
It's sometimes informative to look at what is actually said in the Statutory Instrument introduced by the Government - in this case "The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020 "

Part 2 covers Restrictions on Movement and the only relevant exceptions to leaving home in Reg 6 are:

6c: to take exercise outside

6d: to visit an outdoor place for open air recreation

I'm not a lawyer but couldn't find anything else in the Statutory Instrument relating to recreational motorcycle journeys. As in the original lockdown, I always keep an outdoor place in mind that I can claim I was visiting for exercise/recreation if stopped by the police!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
COMO is a huge joint organisation, surely have legal people looked at the rules. Not like it's some oik off a forum/facebook telling us it's ok. Riding in itself is good exercise. There was two 80+ year olds on scooters up at Ladybower on Friday, needed a rest after taking a wee.

Strange that motorcyclists take it upon themselves to prevent others from riding. Don't see it with car drivers. Peak district car parks & laybys are rammed with cars, eg Mam Tor, Manifold valley, Ladybower. Hundreds out hillwalking, rock climbing, dog walking, etc. All people from the surrounding cities & potteries.

Most "bikers" mothball their bikes end of September, not many out October to April, but we still get the mothballers having a whinge. My take on it is: Rather a rusty bike than a rusty rider, come spring. Each to their own on that.

Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 05:28:15 PM »
Just a slightly different viewpoint from my son, who is a Paramedic.

If you ride, and for whatever reason, something happens, just be aware that in some areas, it has been up to 5 hours wait at a Hospital Ambulance entrance to handover to A+E.

Your decision to ride is your own, and there may be decent reasons for doing so, I'm not judging, but the bottom line is the NHS, especially the emergency arms have their hands full.

If you don't need to ride, or feel that your not sure, think about the overall situation.

I don't ride much in the wet/cold anymore, but I respect you if you need to, but ask yourself, if something happens, as a Biker, an Ambulance is not uncommon.

Just a view from someone on the front line, who has been working his ar*e off this year.

Offline Dandy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XCX 2019
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »
 :0461: :460:

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 05:54:12 PM »
Fair comment but 90% of accidents happen in the home, I've had my share. So during this pandemic I've abandoned thoughts of all jobs, eg pointing the ridge tiles, cleaning out the gutters & lopping overhanging branches with the chainsaw are not happening.

I might have been lucky or unlucky, not sure which, only been in an ambulance once in my lifetime. But I'd agree with Londonglide, anybody who regularly has accidents or think they will riding a bike should give it a miss for the time being, or maybe favourite, pack it in altogether. I would.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2020, 06:17:25 PM »
Interesting thread..

over here (Germany that is) we have what they call a "lockdown light",  so apart from the shops and workplaces all places where a number of people may come togehter are shut down, that includes restaurants, theaters, cinemas etc.. No restrictions on travel in general though so I can get out on a bike trip just for pleasure or exercise. This November is unusually warm and today I saw a lot of bikes on the road, this may change soon due to the weather.

When we had the first lockdown I pledged not to ride the bike without a serious purpose as I did not want to block a bed in intensive care desperately needed because of a bike accident (accident number with bikes is ten times higher than with a car they say). But then I learned to my surprise that most of the intensive care beds were empty so I went out again for the fun.

This time it seems to be more serious: the death rate is climbing higher than the infection rate and even we might face a situation when we do not have enough capacity to treat covid-19 patients. Might as well ban myself again from pleasure rides but I do not know really.

Can someone please just shoot that bloody virus for good? Even if the vaccine they have created here in Germany only 30 kms away from the place I live is as effective as they say it'll take months to have the "herd immunity" we seem to need.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 08:50:57 PM »
Oh dear, the NHS are not under stress at all, hospitals are not full of Covid patients and all those temporary test sites are empty, go to one and all you will see is just hi-viz wearing Serco staff (research Serco) wandering around doing nothing.

If you all want to continue to be afraid to go out because of a virus that has a 'supposed' mortality rate of 0.5%, compared to Influenza (which is 0.1%) then crack on, enjoy being locked up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:59:43 PM by applecorp »

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 09:09:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by applecorp [+]
Oh dear, the NHS are not under stress at all, hospitals are not full of Covid patients and all those temporary test sites are empty, go to one and all you will see is just hi-viz wearing Serco staff (research Serco) wandering around doing nothing.

If you all want to continue to be afraid to go out because of a virus that has a 'supposed' mortality rate of 0.5%, compared to Influenza (which is 0.1%) then crack on, enjoy being locked up.

I find your post incredibly offensive to those who are fighting this on the front line, and to those who have lost their lives to this. Perhaps a couple of screenshots from my colleagues over this weekend will hopefully make you a little less blas.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch