Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: RAC second year breakdown cover  (Read 596 times)

Offline Old__Rider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRT
RAC second year breakdown cover
« on: November 17, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »
I just had a card through the post with my second year code to get the second year of breakdown cover. I went online to activate it and it asks for my card details. Yes it is free but the expectation is that people forget and you end up in a years time with a RAC renewal you didn't want. I called RAC and they told me that there was no other way of doing the second year. I called the dealer and told them the story and how mugged off I feel. The last 2 bikes I have brought have been Ducati's from their sister branch down the road and they came with automatic 2 year breakdown - that I never needed.

Even more P'eed off that I got the bike serviced the other day - early due to the onset of winter (1000 miles on the clock) and I brought an extra years warranty for it.

Is it just me that is incensed by these kind of actions?

It is my first Triumph and now my last, I can't see me buying another Triumph because of this.

Sorry for the rant, but be aware.
Londoner living in Leicestershire, working in Nottingham (soon to be Northamptonshire) and riding a 800 XRt.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 800
Re: RAC second year breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
I don't understand why you're so brassed off about this, you renew for a second year and if after that , if you don't want it cancel..
If you can go online to renew, is it too much of an ask to do the same to cancel and is it actually a deal breaker for you and Triumph?????  :027: :027: :027:

Offline Alan B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
It's just you, hope you don't have any real problems !

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 02:16:13 PM »
Insurance is the same nowadays - supposedly to prevent us from forgetting to renew and not being insured.
Do what I always do - renew and then phone up straight away and tell them I do not want to auto renew when it comes due in just under 12 months.

Offline prenticemarie

• Tiger Master
  • Moto2 GP - Hinckley Triples Rule !
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 04:07:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Alan B [+]
It's just you, hope you don't have any real problems !
:0461:
My My, How Time Flies ... 61 Years ... From BSA DBD34 Gold Star To Tiger 800 Road ... 1959 - 2020 !

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
I renewed my free 2nd year RAC cover a couple of months ago. According to RAC they will let you know in advance when they are going to take payment for the 3rd year so youll have time to cancel. Just in case, Ive put a reminder into my electronic calendar to prompt me to cancel a month before the cover expires. Theyre just relying on numpties who forget or dont bother to cancel. Its hardly difficult to cancel if you want to avoid paying for the 3rd years cover!

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 07:32:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
.. they will let you know in advance when they are going to take payment ...

That has been how my auto renew insurance, bike, car, house, has all worked for years. Although set up for online account access it usually works that I get paper renewal notice through the post the best part of a month in advance of payment date, with quotes of last paid premium and renewal premium and info on cancelling if required or do nothing for auto renewal to happen. The only hiccup is if the card has expired during the year.
I personally have no qualms with the system.

As for the Triumph RAC cover ... I was never even informed it came with my Street Triple and never knew until I traded it in at 2 yrs old for the Tiger when it was mentioned that the Tiger also had RAC cover included for 12 months free. However the two seperate times I broke down due to the faulty Datatool alarm I rang the dealer and they came straight out with their van to the location and recovered the bike back to the workshop at no charge. I wouldn't have paid for it anyway as my car RAC cover covers me for any vehicle.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Old__Rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »
Looks like it is only me then, and I am fine with that  :028:

I get the points about cancelling straight away and that insurers do it however, it has hit a bit of a nerve with me.

Don't get me wrong, I have signed up to quite a number of 'cash back' schemes where you need to wait a set period and then upload a pic of the box code and till receipt and have some nice items where I did what was needed, with the expectation that it is a game of attrition where only a set percentage qualify because they don't meet the strict criteria. But the difference, to me at least, is I signed up with them KNOWING that this would be the case and KNOWING that if I fell down that the terms would not be met.

When I brought the bike, and entered into the contract, I brought it with 24 months warranty and 24 months breakdown cover; with the standard servicing prerequisites. I brought it knowing that Triumph may pass some of my details to third parties who furnish Triumph branded products as part of the package (I know as I used to work on the Triumph branded warranties a good number of years ago). There was no mention of me supplying additional or refreshed data directly to a third party at a future point to 'qualify' for the contracted terms. Why should Triumph believe that they can unilaterally disclose additional clauses to a contract post entering into it and thinking that it is OK? If there was a warranty claim, I wouldn't expect to have to supply my personal and financial details to the parts supplier to get the claim underway. The 24 month breakdown cover, at the point of contract and sale, never came if any additional stipulations or pre-requisites - inferred or otherwise.

I have emailed Triumph this morning explaining the above and have asked them how I obtain my second 12 months breakdown cover, as per my original contract, without having to supply a third party with refreshed personal and financial data - which was not part of any contract I entered into with them. I await their reply.

Although this is my first Triumph, the last 3 main bikes I have brought have come from the same company who own 3 different main dealer marques around the same area. I have just calculated that since 2016 I have spent 37071.16 on bikes and servicing with the main company - so not a small sum of money!
Londoner living in Leicestershire, working in Nottingham (soon to be Northamptonshire) and riding a 800 XRt.

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 11:13:49 AM »
You seem to be suggesting that you knew nothing about the conditions attached to the 2nd year warranty until you were about to activate it. I bought my bike on XRt 1st August 2019 and I've known since that day how to activate the 2nd year warranty, including the need to provide card details. I can't remember how I knew this but can only assume it was explained to me by the dealer during the handover. If that's the case then really your dealer was at fault for not explaining this to you when you bought the bike.

When I came to arrange the 2nd year warranty I was very careful to read the RAC information to ensure that there was a clause in their terms allowing me to cancel the 3rd year renewal, otherwise I would not have activated the 2nd year. I already have personal AA cover for any vehicle so I don't really need the RAC policy except that it has the added attraction of European cover. I was intending to tour in Europe in Sept 2020 hence the reason I wanted to activate it. As we all know I was unable to take advantage of that due to Covid. With a bit of luck, I may be able to ride my bike in Europe before the end of July 2021 and have the comfort of free European cover while there.  :001:

Offline Old__Rider

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 11:35:06 AM »
I am not suggesting anything, that is the actual case. I knew nothing about and T&C's regarding the second year, and haven't yet been able to find any documented evidence (point of sale order, anything in any documentation, flyers, online official) to say that this is the procedure - even today. When I spoke to the dealer they 'appeared' to have not been aware that additional information was asked for.

Triumphs own website as of today states;

'You can now get 24 months cover free with every new Triumph purchased from the 1st July 2019. Your first year of complimentary cover begins automatically on the date you purchase your new Triumph. For bikes purchased from 1st July 2019, we will write to you towards the end of your first year of cover with an activation code and instructions on how to continue your complimentary cover for another year.'

It doesn't say you have to give up personal/financial details, your first child or a kidney! It doesn't mention any qualifying criteria or requirements. I brought the bike, and entered into that contract, which included 24 months breakdown cover, not 12 months and an info share qualification. 

I used to have cover with a bank account, but closed that a while ago. Green Flag can provide the cover I need for less than fifty quid, but that is not my point.   
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:40:36 AM by Old__Rider »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch