Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear swingarm lube / removal  (Read 669 times)

Offline oNLIme

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Rear swingarm lube / removal
« on: November 18, 2020, 10:15:15 PM »
Evening all

I know this topic appears from time to time but I havent found the info Im looking for, hence new topic. 

In the process of a very thorough 12k service on my 2011 plate roadie which, as far as I can tell at 15k miles, had nothing more than an oil and filter change at 12k.  Given that, I want to make sure the swingarm and shock linkages are fully checked over and lubed, among all the other stuff.

What I cant work out is if a special tool is required to remove the swingarm.  On the Street Triple, a frame adjustment tool is required to slacken off the linkage and enable removal.  Bikers Toolbox sells the same tool specifically for the Tiger 800, but I cant see any mention of it being needed either on this  forum, Muddy Sump or anywhere else.

Can anyone give me a definitive answer please?

Many thanks

Offline philmcglass

• Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
Re: Rear swingarm lube / removal
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:29:23 PM »
No special tools needed.
Find the Line

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:42:34 AM »
You simply need to unbolt the rear suspension drop links and then the swinging arm pivot bolt. After removing the back wheel, the only complication on my later XCA was to remove the right-hand pannier frame and then the silencer (to allow the swinging arm to be withdrawn). Otherwise, a pretty straightforward job.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 07:59:59 AM »
It is worth mentioning that one of the difficulties I found in removing the rear suspension linkage bolts was that the nuts on my 2017 XCA require a 17 mm spanner/socket but the bolts themselves requires a 16 mm spanner/socket. Neither my spanner set or socket set came with a size of 16 mm and required this to be specially bought.

The only special tool needed is a torque wrench capable of achieving 80 Nm for the bolts and 110 Nm for the swinging arm pivot bolt.

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 08:40:50 AM »
Depending which model you have, you might require a large Torx bit, don't know what size as I am at work 😏
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline oNLIme

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
Great.  Thanks for all your helpful responses - very reassuring and much appreciated. Sounds like Ive got everything I need so Ill just crack on with it!    :031:

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »
Just about to start this as part of the 12000 mile service (awaiting the right grease). Reading the manual it states that the nuts used on the rear shock and linkage should be replaced before being refitted. Is this absolutely necessary? Getting a bit tired of the amount of stuff I've had to order to complete this service!
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »
I believe they use a form of lock nut that can be reused provided you use a threadlocker - this is what I did. To be honest, I don't think I would have worried much re-using them without the threadlocker provided you torque them up properly.

Offline oNLIme

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »
Update from me is that Ive had the swingarm off, dismantled, cleaned up and back on the bike this afternoon.  Straightforward enough as per previous replies - only slightly tricky part was finagling the swingarm back in past the exhaust (which I did not remove), but no great drama.  Most time consuming other than the parts cleaning was constantly changing between so many different size sockets, torx heads and spanners - they do like a bit of variety in the Triumph design team!   :191:

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by oNLIme [+]
Update from me is that Ive had the swingarm off, dismantled, cleaned up and back on the bike this afternoon.  Straightforward enough as per previous replies - only slightly tricky part was finagling the swingarm back in past the exhaust (which I did not remove), but no great drama.  Most time consuming other than the parts cleaning was constantly changing between so many different size sockets, torx heads and spanners - they do like a bit of variety in the Triumph design team!   :191:

How did the bearings and seals look?
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Recent Topics