Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike Security  (Read 1014 times)

Offline jpender69

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
Bike Security
« on: November 23, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
I posted a separate thread on an issue I have with not being able to lock my front fork.  Aside from this issue do most people rely on locking the front fork to secure their bikes or are most using an additional chain/belt or another locking device to secure their rides and if so any suggestions/recommendations appreciated?

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
Re: Bike Security
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
As a matter of course I always use the steering lock plus usually either an alarmed disc lock or a lock and chain if I can lock the bike to some immoveable object.

The main point to remember is that you have to carry whatever security device you are going to use. There is no point in spending money on a huge heavy lock and chain if you are not going to be able to carry it with you.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 01:49:14 PM »
At home I have thick Abus chain around the frame and secured to a ground anchor, disc lock on front wheel.

For being out and about I'm looking at getting one of these, apparently really good.

https://www.litelok.com/products/litelok-moto-108

Offline jpender69

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »
Yes, I think I saw this new type of locking strap somewhere else and agree it looks much more practical than a chain and something that can probably be transported in a backpack before I invariably buy a tail box.  It sounds almost too good to be true that it can be less than 2Kg and resist an attack from bolt cutters....

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »
I'm not in any way endorsing Motolegends it is simply that I recalled they released a video on the Litelok a week ago which might be helpful.  :027:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline philmcglass

• Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
Almax Series 2 chain with squire lock. Recommended.

Thankfully never had it tested.

https://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
Find the Line

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 04:52:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I'm not in any way endorsing Motolegends it is simply that I recalled they released a video on the Litelok a week ago which might be helpful.  :027:

/>

Here's another one
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 05:20:55 PM »
WOW  :005:

Can't really argue with that demonstration and even before he said his reply, when he stated the maker wanted to know about his cutters, I had already muttered to myself the clue was probably in the picture ... made in japan (quality) ... as opposed to the bulk of cheap Chinese crap on the market that fails after two uses and also wondering what 'Sold Secure' actually use for their testing.  :027:

Seems like a 139 bicycle security cable then.  :187:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
Thing is, (and also in no way am I endorsing Litelok) in the real world it wouldn't be so easy to get through that in 16 seconds, not many thieves (some do I concede) would want to draw so much attention to themselves in broad daylight in town with a big pair of bolt cutters, then you have the matter of the lock not being as easy to access with the cutters when it is attached to a motorbike, if the lock is raised off the ground it is a lot harder when the thief can't use the ground as an anchor to operate the bolt cutter.

At the end of the day, any lock is just a deterrent, the more layers of security the better chance you have of thieves stealing someone elses bike and not yours.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch