Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 600 ??  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: Tiger 600 ??
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 02:01:43 AM »
A 660 Tiger is quite likely. In-the-know sources have been saying Triumph has been toying with idea for at least 18 months. Id put money on it happening.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
I honestly can't see the point in a Tiger 600 or whatever using a triple engine. I would prefer them to do something with their twin 1200 engine and give it a fuel tank rather than the peanut like the Captain America bike. I have been looking around new bikes and they all seem to fall down somewhere with fundamental issues. Mostly reliability and size of fuel tank. Which rule them out of my scope and put them in the show bike category.  Best all round bike for me at that size is the new 700 Tracer. A much more usable bike than the Tenere version.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
I honestly can't see the point in a Tiger 600 or whatever using a triple engine. I would prefer them to do something with their twin 1200 engine and give it a fuel tank rather than the peanut like the Captain America bike. I have been looking around new bikes and they all seem to fall down somewhere with fundamental issues. Mostly reliability and size of fuel tank. Which rule them out of my scope and put them in the show bike category.  Best all round bike for me at that size is the new 700 Tracer. A much more usable bike than the Tenere version.

You're contradicting yourself a bit here, if the tracer 700 is the best all round in your opinion, then why wouldn't triumph compete with Yamaha here using the 660 ?
Because look at those trident numbers, it's quite in line with Yamaha's CP2 engine max torque around same revs, in my opinion Triumph would be stupid not taking advantage of the platform.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 02:50:33 PM »
Dude we all know Max torque and HP figures do not in any way mean one bike is actually faster or pulls better than another. There is no way a triple wi'll be better that a similar size twin on the road. Unless it's high revving which make it less useable in the real world.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 02:53:23 PM »
That ought to be obvious to any 800 Tiger owner who knows their engine is an overbroad 660 with softer cams. Where will you get useful useable torque from that 660 engine. Answer is you can't.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 03:17:15 PM »
Don't want to go in a semantic battle, but what does better mean, for you surely isn't equal to better for me, is it only engine architecture, chassis, suspensions or heck even looks, I really find what you said to be only your opinion and that's fine, but you don't seem to realise others might be interested in this triple and if there's a market a company should attack it.

The CP2 can rev even more than an Africa twin or your 1200, so there also is it really a twin ? Then I think enough people agree the 900 is more twin than triple, so a twin being always better, not really.

The only spot I agree absolutely, is damn most bikes under 18l tanks for touring is dumb.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
I know people will be interested in it and it's a nice bike. My point is Triumph knew they couldn't get useable torque from the 660 which is the main reason they overbroad it. So why would they try again. On the road midrange is mostly where we ride. Come out of a bend on the 660 gas it and not much happens so you have to drop down a gear and carry some revs. So now your riding a sports bike but it doesn't make power. That's wht the CP2 engine is so well thought of and seen as fun.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
As for numbers. My flashed Super 10 makes 79lbs torque @ 5636 rpm. It's nearly making that @ 3000 rpm but we only tend to look at the max fiqures.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »
Sidestepping the cylinders religious war, there are a couple of speculative items to be found.

https://indianautosblog.com/2021-trident-660-based-new-triumph-bikes-p321797

https://shifting-gears.com/triumph-trident-660-based-tiger-660-tiger-sport-660-under-evaluation/

Unfortunately, Mrs Zero no longer goes to tai chi so she doesn't regularly meet one of Triumph's test riders any more.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 04:56:59 PM »
I'm not denying what you say fac191, still you like twins and not over revving an engine, great, some people like it the other way round, some in the middle, that's why there's a bike for everyone isn't it ?
In this case the 660 would be a sport touring, not adv, so the arguments about twins are really questionable at least that's my opinion.

Let's just be happy if triumph extends, I love my Tiger, the more the merrier !

*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
Sidestepping the cylinders religious war, there are a couple of speculative items to be found.

https://indianautosblog.com/2021-trident-660-based-new-triumph-bikes-p321797

https://shifting-gears.com/triumph-trident-660-based-tiger-660-tiger-sport-660-under-evaluation/

Unfortunately, Mrs Zero no longer goes to tai chi so she doesn't regularly meet one of Triumph's test riders any more.

Hehe religious war, yeah seems like it !

Both articles in my opinion make wrong assumptions, seems to me the left drawing was the 850 and the right something based on the Trident, because look at the frames of both.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 05:04:17 PM by Djairouks »

Recent Topics

winded-staunch