Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 6 months in ..........  (Read 3381 times)

Offline JW

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
6 months in ..........
« on: November 27, 2020, 09:37:27 AM »
I have had the Tiger (2018 XRx) for 6 months now now and covered over 1500 miles so thought I would summarise my experience coming from a brace of Kawasaki Versys 650's.

The short version - its great and I love it.

What I've fitted/done:
- Givi Treker Top Box (retrofitted with Triumph Lock Set for single key use)
- JDM plates - Having a skinny "1" in the reg means they can make a custom but legal smaller number plate
- Givi Engine crash bars
- Chinese CREE spots on a Givi mounting bar
- AliExpress Rad Guard - after all, its just an aluminium sheet with lots of holes in it then painted black
- Pyramid Fender Extender
- Mr Harrison front indicator relocation
- Roadtec tyres to be fitted next week
- Annual service (valves not required)
- Home made phone mount above the clocks

It's kept on an optimate charger through the din socket and used in all weathers.

A lot of my driving has been short-ish trips (30-40 miles) but I have done a few longer ones of up to 200 miles.  I am training to be an advanced rider observer (IAM) and I am also a blood runner so my journeys have included long runs at 2 in the morning, in 3c temp, in pouring rain and with two boxes of blood strapped on the back - see my comment below re tyres - as well as sunny trips to the beach with my club.

I find the screen to be OK for me and buffeting is minimal. I am 6ft and tend to keep it in the 2nd lowest position (i have used the lowest position for my phone mount).  Seat is OK and usually my knees need a break before my bum probably due to playing too much rugby (and an ACL rebuild).  No mechanical issues.  The original tyres at 5500 miles have plenty of tread left but especially in the wet, there is too much tracking on white lines/poor road surfaces so radial Metzlers are on order.  Not yet had a passenger but performance is good and a big improvement on the Versys.

Here's to the next 6 months.......

2018 Tiger 800 XRx Gen 3 Blue

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
Re: 6 months in ..........
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »
Happy to hear you are enjoying what we all know is a great bike.
Stay safe.

:031:

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 12:26:29 PM »
JW,
I also have a 2018 XRX , just had the 12k mls service done and agree it's a great bike.
Some things I have done with mine -
Sargent seats, best long distance seats I've used, also had them on a GS.
Palmer Products screen unit fitted but with a Madstad screen added which is wider than the PP screen, also have the Madstad winglets added which cut down on the side buffeting.
Yes, fitting radial fronts are a huge improvement, I have the Michelin R5s but there are other tyres that also are good.
I have a Maxton rear shock fitted, but that was just because I had it on s 2013 Gen 1 Tiger and just swapped it over when I bought the XRX. It is a very good unit and was built to my spec(weight).
I find the fuel consumption to be excellent and regularly get 200+ mls when touring..
Enjoy your Tiger...

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 03:37:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by mcinlb [+]
Palmer Products screen unit fitted but with a Madstad screen added which is wider than the PP screen, also have the Madstad winglets added which cut down on the side buffeting.

Interesting, I find the stock screen fine but from day one have noticed some wind disturbance from the sides and put it down to the winglets or maybe the large cut out for the hand guards (overly large I feel, there is plenty of clearance between handguards and screen), didn't know you could get aftermarket winglets.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:38:50 PM by applecorp »

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »
I went from a Versys 650 to a 2012 Roadie and I am of a similar mindset. They're different bikes to be sure but I like my Triumph.  My wife rides the Versys now and went from an 08 to a 2018 last spring so it's still a hell of a good bike for the money.

Offline clff

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 06:46:54 PM »
Hi I too have the same set up as Mcinlb and find it very very good and well balanced however when at motorway speeds and more I found quite a lot of movement specially behind a mate with top box on or following a lorry. It was not coming though the bars so got me thinking the winglets. This is a experiment I think the air hitting the winglets at different pressures and angles the full force was creating this so I drilled 3 holes not to big not to small measured the same both sides where the corner of the winglets are just inside. Result much better the winglets still do there job but with less resistance and sort of equals the force if that make sense and it looks good too  Applecorp I think it might work for you hope this helps cliff
cliff

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 08:25:10 AM »
Glad you are enjoying the Tiger JW, it's a great bike as we all know.

One thing I will say though is there's no such thing as "playing too much Rugby"

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 10:20:32 AM »
Nice report, glad youre enjoying the bike.
Good on ya doing the Blood Bikers. How do you find it generally? I went to a recruiting meeting but shortly afterwards went full time NHS, so its on the back burner for now.

Offline JW

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »
I really enjoy the Blood Biking - its feels good helping to support the front line and is a great opportunity to get out when the roads are quiet.  London can be frustrating at night on empty roads being limited to 20 mph and whilst it is blanket across the City, the slow zones are appearing more and more in other areas.

I prefer to use my Tiger although marked bikes are available.  At this time of the year, we also have to use the cars as we have a temp limit of 3c for safety reasons.
2018 Tiger 800 XRx Gen 3 Blue

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
Its interesting to hear how other Blood Bike groups operate. We arent allowed to use our own bikes under any circumstances and must always ride the charitys liveried bikes when on shift. Were also not allowed to wear our hi-vis jackets with the Blood labels attached except when on shift and that includes even riding to and from the bike bases before and after shifts.

Recent Topics