Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Long-Life Chain  (Read 1048 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
New Long-Life Chain
« on: November 27, 2020, 10:49:03 PM »
With the on-going discussion, elsewhere, about chain-oiler lubes I thought it'd be good timing to mention BMW's new Regina "Diamond" chain that they say 'never needs lube or adjusting':

https://newatlas.com/motorcycles/bmw-m-endurance-motorcycle-chain/

Altho offered in the correct pitch, getting the length for Triumph fitment may be an issue?
(might need to 'make one up' if seriously wanted?)

There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: New Long-Life Chain
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:28:43 PM »
Ah the beauty of marketing !

The point of the lubricant is to keep chains from rusting, so it rotates nicely, there's no real lubrication film working between rollers and sprockets, for wear reduction.
Looking at the materials it seems this chain would not require lubricant, because the materials can't rust, that's good and the only advantage I can believe here.

Then there's an argument about the coating of rollers being harder and actually wearing the sprockets faster than a "softer" chain, it might be possible.
So sure maybe the coating will slow the roller wear, but the pins will still endure the compression stretching like all chains, I have a pretty hard time believing the no ever adjustment theory and finally we all know BMW likes to sell pricy parts, so will the cost benefit be actually positive, will wait for real world tests.

Obviously if I'm wrong and it's not crazy price, that would be good, but there's no unicorns.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:42:40 PM by Djairouks »

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 01:33:54 AM »
507.00 US $ seems like a lot until you figure that's equivalent to four chains at average price of 125.00$. if the average chain lasts 25,000 miles then this chain is equal to 100,000+++ miles. Considering no maintenance needed this might be a good deal.

Chico

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 07:03:42 AM »
The lube keeps the seals supple, or they dry out & crack. Nothing lasts forever. Just like a sealed bearing, no maintenance, replace when worn.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
https://enduro21.com/en/products-reviews/latest/regina-develop-maintenance-free-chain

They do however say the HPE chain does not need specially coated front or rear sprockets and that extensive lab and street testing has demonstrated the chain has a useful life that is at least equivalent, if not greater, than a traditional regularly re-lubricated Z-Ring chain.

It's not going to last even 2 chains, if it could they would say it but they don't, so this is clearly a waste of money.

Although I think you can buy it cheaper from them than BMW

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »
Chain lube lubricates the bushing-roller surface. The bushing-pin surface is permanently lubricated by the stuff that's held in by the O, X, Z, or whatever other letter of the alphabet is this year's fashion ring.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 07:12:28 PM »
The spec. says:

"A hydrogen-free Tetrahedral Amorphous Carbon (ta-C) coating, currently considered my many experts as the most advanced among DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) coatings, is applied on the surface of the bushings and rollers of the HPE chain in production. That ta-C coating reduces energy dissipation and increases efficiency and so combines the very hard coated surface with a low coefficient of friction".
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics