Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: chain oilers  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
Re: chain oilers
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 02:19:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
it'll still drip slower for cold oil than hot.
If I've understood correctly it'll drip for a short while after the top has been turned to pressurise the flow, until the pressure balances, then stops until the next time you turn.

I would have thought that the impact of ambient or fluid temperature on the flow would have been minimal.

I've just bought one so I'll be finding out in due course  :001:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Alberto_B [+]
If I've understood correctly it'll drip for a short while after the top has been turned to pressurise the flow, until the pressure balances, then stops until the next time you turn.

I would have thought that the impact of ambient or fluid temperature on the flow would have been minimal.

I've just bought one so I'll be finding out in due course  :001:

Alberto you are correct.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 02:31:38 PM »
Doesn't happen often  :001:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 02:35:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Alberto you are correct.

So the Cobra drips at same pace no matter what the temp, wouldn't have thought so, that's good.

How long does it drip for, or how long 'til you need to turn the top again?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 02:49:44 PM »
The idea is to get thick oil and turn about 3/4 to coat the chain, then it's not a matter of how often you need to return or how long it drips.
The oil will cost a chain in about 5 minutes in my experience, then unless you're under heavy rain, there's enough oil for 400km at least.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 02:59:06 PM »
Ok so the Cobra doesn't wash the crud off the chain, it just lubes it for 5 mins.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 03:03:16 PM »
Only degreaser washes a chain, I don't think a scottoiler is any better, that's a non argument in my opinion, I'll wash the chain when I want to.
But until all the lube is gone, you can let your chain get "clean" if you want to  :027: before giving a turn.

I have no more crud as when I was using spray can grease on my chain, so it's pretty good.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 03:05:10 PM by Djairouks »

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 03:36:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Only degreaser washes a chain, I don't think a scottoiler is any better, that's a non argument in my opinion,

You are wrong.

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2020, 03:45:35 PM »
Friends have scottoilers, I see absolutely no difference on cleanliness of the chain or dirtiness, however you want to look at it.

So whatever you want to think (that I'm wrong), I can only give my irl experience not an opinion... Anyway plenty other users here to give their own experience, so don't take my word for it.

Maybe my oil is magic  :492:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 03:47:54 PM by Djairouks »

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
Having had a chain break on the Xc during a tour of Ireland, luckily at very low speed, I have become a bit paranoid about chains/chain maintenance.
As far as I understand it, with most modern O-ring chains the actual working part of the links are factory lubed, and effectively sealed by the O-ring ( or X-ring, whatever) from the outside world.
The take away for me is make sure the chain is good quality, properly adjusted on good sprockets, and up to the job.. fyi my bike came from a dealer with a splint link chain which should only be used on smaller, low power bikes...
The idea is that by keeping the chain cleaned and rust-free you will help to get maximum life with minimal problems.
I think the idea is to keep the O-rings flexible, and the working surfaces slippery, and unlike bikes from years ago, more oil only equals more mess/muck collection and wear.
I'm not a mile muncher, so I am happy with weekly cleaning/maintenance, but would have an oiler if I was to do more touring.
I would imagine that 90% of whatever you put on the chain gets flung off, and its really about which you prefer as a brand, as all they are doing is keeping the visible parts protected.

Just my thoughts....

Recent Topics