Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: chain oilers  (Read 5418 times)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: chain oilers
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2020, 01:29:14 AM »
There are two rubbing surfaces - the pin on the outer plates goes through the bush on the inner plates, and that friction interface is permanently lubricated by the grease sealed in by the O/Z/W/X rings. The roller rotates around the bush and the outer surface of the roller is the surface that the sprocket goes onto, and the roller/bush interface is lubricated by chain lube.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2020, 05:42:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
The roller rotates around the bush and the outer surface of the roller is the surface that the sprocket goes onto, and the roller/bush interface is lubricated by chain lube.
Aren't both inner & outer surfaces of the bush permanently lubricated by the grease sealed-in upon chain assembly? I.E. the outer surface of the pin, the inner surface of the bush, the outer surface of the bush, and the inner surface of the roller -- are the greased & sealed interfaces (rubbing surfaces).
The chains rollers (outer surfaces) are, then, (ideally) not rubbing surfaces and external lube may, when applied, offer a protective film and a pressure cushion to the roller sprocket interface.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 06:14:28 AM by AvgBear »
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Aren't both inner & outer surfaces of the bush permanently lubricated by the grease sealed-in upon chain assembly? I.E. the outer surface of the pin, the inner surface of the bush, the outer surface of the bush, and the inner surface of the roller -- are the greased & sealed interfaces (rubbing surfaces).
The chains rollers (outer surfaces) are, then, (ideally) not rubbing surfaces and external lube may, when applied, offer a protective film and a pressure cushion to the roller sprocket interface.

No, the seal is in the wrong place to seal the roller ends. Hopefully this shows what I mean:

Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2020, 01:31:08 PM »
And those O/X seals need good lubrication with the side plates constantly rubbing on both sides of them, ideally a little & often to wash away the crud. As any experienced rider would/should know.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2020, 05:04:33 PM »
No,...Hopefully this shows what I mean:
OK, thanks -- yes it does, great illustration.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2020, 04:19:44 AM »
The roller rotates around the bush..., and the roller/bush interface is lubricated by chain lube.
Well, yes & no. Yes b/c the bush/roller interface will be lubed by the grease applied when first manufactured -- but no b/c once that grease leaves through the non-sealed gap between the roller and the inner plates there won't be any way to effectively get grease back in there.
Yes, chain lube can be applied to the outside -- but getting some between the roller and the bush may be doubtful-to-impossible.  :187:
(especially with centrifugal force working against such a process...)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:25:10 AM by AvgBear »
WSC

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 03:53:17 PM »
Well, yes & no. Yes b/c the bush/roller interface will be lubed by the grease applied when first manufactured -- but no b/c once that grease leaves through the non-sealed gap between the roller and the inner plates there won't be any way to effectively get grease back in there.
Yes, chain lube can be applied to the outside -- but getting some between the roller and the bush may be doubtful-to-impossible.  :187:
(especially with centrifugal force working against such a process...)

Exactly :047: spot on that man. 'Tis why the oiler nozzle should be 20 to the hour on the sprocket, so centrifugal force gets the oil into all the chain components.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:59:24 PM by Paulhere »

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
'Tis why the oiler nozzle should be 20 to the hour on the sprocket, so centrifugal force gets the oil into all the chain components.
If workig as you describe, would it not be better without the O/Z/W/X rings (in the way) obstructing the process..?   :187:
WSC

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 05:48:19 PM »
If workig as you describe, would it not be better without the O/Z/W/X rings (in the way) obstructing the process..?   :187:

Don't be silly, there'd be nothing to keep the crud out.  :087:

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 06:14:47 PM »
My experience for what it is worth.
2012 Tiger Roadie. 18,600miles from new. I have been riding 65 years (yes I am 81), Tutoro oiler fitted,any  multigrade engine oil goes in during warmer weather, you have to thin it when the temperature falls. It does not like the winter, neither do I. I never clean my chain,I find that the crud flings off with the surplus oil. 25000 to 30000 can be had from an overlubed chain.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch