Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: chain oilers  (Read 6073 times)

Offline ped

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800
Re: chain oilers
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »
why does the cobra chain oiler only lube one side of the plates  when both sides need lubing to stop friction and wear

just asking for a Friend

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2020, 12:00:56 PM »
My scottoiler does the same! The theory is that the actions of the chain and sprockets when in motion will spread the oil around the whole chain (which it does if the flow is sufficient).
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by ped [+]
why does the cobra chain oiler only lube one side of the plates  when both sides need lubing to stop friction and wear

just asking for a Friend

Basically the oil spreads with centrifugal force - better if you have the spout directed at the bottom run of the chain though.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »
As the tubing size is the same as some pneumatic lines, with the Cobrra, you could at the end insert a Y pneumatic connector and put 2 tubes right up above side plates.

I will try this after winter !

Offline Johnjo

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 xrt
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
I think scottoier sell a dual dispenser. They sell all there parts as separates from their website. You could rig up one of those above the chain run if desired. Personally don't see the need. Single dispenser oils the complete chain as previously stated.

I've used one of scottoils mounting arms on my cobrra. Holds the supply line better than the one cobrra supply.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Johnjo [+]
I think scottoier sell a dual dispenser. They sell all there parts as separates from their website. You could rig up one of those above the chain run if desired. Personally don't see the need. Single dispenser oils the complete chain as previously stated.

I've used one of scottoils mounting arms on my cobrra. Holds the supply line better than the one cobrra supply.

Not certain the scottoiler tubing is exact same size, the pneumatic stuff grab the tubing on the outside,
it's not something that plugs inside the tubes, so less flow restriction as well for pretty much the same
price, that's why it might be a good option.

I think I'd like to actually have another oil line on the output sprocket, but sure it's not needed.

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by T-Rever [+]
My experience for what it is worth.
2012 Tiger Roadie. 18,600miles from new. I have been riding 65 years (yes I am 81), Tutoro oiler fitted,any  multigrade engine oil goes in during warmer weather, you have to thin it when the temperature falls. It does not like the winter, neither do I. I never clean my chain,I find that the crud flings off with the surplus oil. 25000 to 30000 can be had from an overlubed chain.

I have a Tutoro, what do you thin the oil with please.

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2020, 06:36:51 PM »
I thin the chain oil with a light bicycle oil like 3 in 1., and give the supply valve an extra half turn.

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by T-Rever [+]
I thin the chain oil with a light bicycle oil like 3 in 1., and give the supply valve an extra half turn.

Thanks, will try that.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch