Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike purchae  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Flik118

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Bike purchae
« on: December 11, 2020, 07:05:50 PM »
Hi all...newbie on here so please be gentle lol...I'm looking into getting a 800xc and wondered what do I need too look out for....known problems etc etc?
Any help would be appreciated

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
Re: Bike purchae
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:45:12 PM »
What price range are you thinking of spending in? There are no common problems with the Tiger 800 range that I know of since its launch 10 years ago.

Offline Flik118

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
I'm looking around the 5k price range.

Offline ENGLISHBANDIT

• Tiger Master
  • ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Bike: FZ1N, XJR1300
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »
Hold out for a very very good one with low miles and owners. They do come up often so dont just buy any old one. I bought a 5000 mile tiger 800xc for 5000 and it was like new. And when buying check the condition matches the mileage. Lots of good buys out there but also lots of over priced bikes. I bought mine from a dealer ( I normal buy private) at least you get a warranty that way.
Stand behind our troops,if not feel free to stand in front of them

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 11:32:18 PM »
As said above no real problems but check bike/ condition carefully. I would suggest buying from a dealer unless you are competent and can spot a 'wrong un' Also a full service history is important, I would say more important than a low mileage. Bear in mind that the 12,000 mile service is the big one with a cost of approx 500. It involves checking valve clearances and greasing suspension linkages and head bearings so takes a fair amount of time.

Don't but a 10 -11,000 mile bike without this big service has been properly carried out.

Personally I would rather buy a higher mileage bike with a full dealer service history than a low mileage bike that has a limited service history. If you are looking at a price range about 5k you are looking at a bike 5 to 6 or 7 years old. It should have had several services in it's life even if low mileage.

Best of luck with your search the Tiger 800  really is a cracking bike and welcome to the forum.

Offline applecorp

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XRT 2018
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by ENGLISHBANDIT [+]
Hold out for a very very good one with low miles and owners. They do come up often so dont just buy any old one. I bought a 5000 mile tiger 800xc for 5000 and it was like new. And when buying check the condition matches the mileage. Lots of good buys out there but also lots of over priced bikes. I bought mine from a dealer ( I normal buy private) at least you get a warranty that way.

Indeed, they do appear but rarely. Not a lot on Autotrader at the minute at the 5k range if you want an XC, most of them are XR's.

Unless topic starter fancies a trip down to Dorset?   :001:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202010144999438?include-delivery-option=on&postcode=b735ry&model=TIGER%20800&make=TRIUMPH&sort=price-asc&maximum-mileage=20000&advertising-location=at_bikes&radius=1500&price-to=5500&page=1

Online Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 05:19:46 PM »
If you are considering a bike that will soon need a 12 or 24,000 mile service, you are not far from TriumphTec Lee Bayliss.

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 11:23:11 PM »
Be careful with that question mate, it offends some people who think nothing ever goes wrong with the 800. Like every bike there are some known issues but nothing that cant be resolved with relative ease. All in all they are generally very reliable. A few known issues

Start switch failures. Now on V3 and made in Germany after numerous reports of failures
Front sprocket nut comes off as tab washer just isnt enough to retain it. Easily fixed by drilling the shaft and putting a split pin in
Top triple clamp nut coming loose and flying off into the wilderness.
The stock engine crash bars have been known to snap a section off the engine case where they mount when the bike is dropped. Run Heed bars instead far better protection.

Good luck, great bike and you will love it.

Online Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »
 :401: :031:
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
Be careful with that question mate, it offends some people who think nothing ever goes wrong with the 800. Like every bike there are some known issues but nothing that cant be resolved with relative ease. All in all they are generally very reliable. A few known issues

Start switch failures. Now on V3 and made in Germany after numerous reports of failures
Front sprocket nut comes off as tab washer just isnt enough to retain it. Easily fixed by drilling the shaft and putting a split pin in
Top triple clamp nut coming loose and flying off into the wilderness.
The stock engine crash bars have been known to snap a section off the engine case where they mount when the bike is dropped. Run Heed bars instead far better protection.

Good luck, great bike and you will love it.

Two tabs of the sprocket nut does the job rather than the one tab.
I would suggest a top nut coming off is down to lack of preventative maintenance or not being torqued to spec.
As for start switch failures. Haven't heard that one. Are you referring to starter motor?
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Recent Topics