Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike purchae  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
Re: Bike purchae
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »
I havent experienced the issue myself but Ive see a few postings on here and other Tiger 800 Forums about failure of the gear shift return spring.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
I havent experienced the issue myself but Ive see a few postings on here and other Tiger 800 Forums about failure of the gear shift return spring.

Mainly the spring retention peg braking leaving the gear lever "down" when changing down the gears. Simple to fix the peg.
Springs were replaced early on - from late 2011, though not necessarily for breaking.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 10:19:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Two tabs of the sprocket nut does the job rather than the one tab.
I would suggest a top nut coming off is down to lack of preventative maintenance or not being torqued to spec.
As for start switch failures. Haven't heard that one. Are you referring to starter motor?

Tabbing 2 sides still does not work mate. Top nuts coming off are widely known and nothing to do with preventative maintenance. Factory screw up. Torque to 90nm with blue loctite solves that woe.
Start switch failures, not the starter motor. As mentioned now on V3 because of this issue. Unrepairable. Triumph gave me one for free for an upcoming trip as a spare.

Offline Alberto_B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: T800XRT '16
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
I have recently had the gear change linkage replaced during service as it had play according to the dealer. It was about 125 iirc, on top of the service cost, and required the whole mechanism replacing as Triumph doesn't sell the individual parts.  That was before I had seen the various threads on here about how some folk have managed to solve the problem. - e.g.

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,22487.0.html

Fortunately I did keep the original, so if the replacement wears (currently about 8,000 miles) I will have a replacement to hand for a few .

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 01:20:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
Be careful with that question mate, it offends some people who think nothing ever goes wrong with the 800. Like every bike there are some known issues but nothing that cant be resolved with relative ease. All in all they are generally very reliable. A few known issues

Start switch failures. Now on V3 and made in Germany after numerous reports of failures
Front sprocket nut comes off as tab washer just isnt enough to retain it. Easily fixed by drilling the shaft and putting a split pin in
Top triple clamp nut coming loose and flying off into the wilderness.
The stock engine crash bars have been known to snap a section off the engine case where they mount when the bike is dropped. Run Heed bars instead far better protection.

I'm curious about where these known issues are known. I can't recall any start switch failures being reported on this forum. I think there have been two or three loose front sprocket nuts. One report of top clamp nut loose - of course, it might have been serviced and not done up to 90Nm. I don't recall any of them being mentioned on the Triumph Rat Tiger section either, though I don't read that as thoroughly as here.

The most common issues that have come up here have been gearshift issues, starter motor issues, and main fuse/starter solenoid issues.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 01:46:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
I'm curious about where these known issues are known. I can't recall any start switch failures being reported on this forum. I think there have been two or three loose front sprocket nuts. One report of top clamp nut loose - of course, it might have been serviced and not done up to 90Nm. I don't recall any of them being mentioned on the Triumph Rat Tiger section either, though I don't read that as thoroughly as here.

The most common issues that have come up here have been gearshift issues, starter motor issues, and main fuse/starter solenoid issues.

My source is one of the top tech guys for Triumph in Asia. I am only relating what they see on a regular basis but additionally, our own group of Triumph riders seeing multiple instances of failures in these areas. Just passing info on, dont shoot the messenger. ;)

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 08:30:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
Tabbing 2 sides still does not work mate. Top nuts coming off are widely known and nothing to do with preventative maintenance. Factory screw up. Torque to 90nm with blue loctite solves that woe.
Start switch failures, not the starter motor. As mentioned now on V3 because of this issue. Unrepairable. Triumph gave me one for free for an upcoming trip as a spare.

Sounds like local issues, bar possibly the switch, to me.
Tabbing two sides DOES WORK, for me at least. one side can loosen off over time. Two doesn't.
No loctite required on my 2011 top nut. It's torqued to the correct level. I'm still on my original starter switch and have heard on no other instances mentioned here, other than the usual, to most bikes, of dirt getting into the switch - nothing a good spray out can't cure.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline T-Rever

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »
I have had my 2012 Roadie since 2014 and 4500miles. It is now on 18600 miles, and I have had no issues to date. Changed my front sprocket for 17t at about 5000, if the nut is torqued up properly, and tabbed over, no probs. Nothing to report.Never heard of the starter switch problem.

Recent Topics