Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2021 trip  (Read 900 times)

Offline nolly

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800
2021 trip
« on: December 20, 2020, 01:15:46 PM »
Hi folks
Ive searched the forum for a definitive answer and maybe there isnt one so Ill take advice instead
I have a 2014 plate 22,000 mile 800 tiger with triumph standard top box and twenty litre tank bag that I strap to the top box
I weigh 105 Kgs SWMBO weighs in at 61kgs. Would the standard shock cope with this on a six day tour ( about 1300 miles )? Or would an upgraded shocker be in order?
I can slim down a bit if required but for obvious reasons I darent ask my other half
Any advice would be grateful
Regards
Ian

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Re: 2021 trip
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
Honestly i would try to avoid loading on the top box as its too high up. Some throwover bags would be much.better. Are your weights in riding gear ready to go ?.

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 01:40:38 PM »
Do you know if ti is the original shock?? If so it must be pretty tired by now. The shock is budget when new and you will certainly note the improvement in ride if you went for an aftermarket shock suitably set for your weight / load.

I would also agree with fac191 loading a tank bag on top of the top box is making the load very high up and you will notice that over 1300miles. Panniers or the tank bag on the tank would make the loading much better.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 01:41:03 PM »
I had a 2013 Tiger with less mls than yours and the shock was not too good to say the least. I don't honestly think it would cope too well with that loading and miles.
There are a few on the forum who have replaced their rear shock (me included) to much improvement in handling and comfort and matched to your weight requirements.
Worth every penny... 

Offline nolly

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »
This is just what Im looking for. The weights are without bike gear
I usually use the tank bag on the tank but was going to try the top box idea. So will probably revert to the tank
Yes, its the original shock as Ive had the bike from new

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
Before I had the Wilbers rear shock I had the same setup on 4 day trip as you describe:almost the same weight for rider and pillion, OEM triumph top box and and ortlieb rack pack squeezed between swmbo and the top box. The shock was clearly under a lot of stress and the bike did not handle well, to be honest it was awful.

First action after that trip was to get rid of the top box, bought a bigger rack pack and in the end Givi panniers. The real break through was the Wilbers rear shock though. Did not help with swmbo: by the time that shock was fitted she had done the test and has her own bike now, so we rarely go on the tiger together now 😄
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 07:05:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
...Did not help with swmbo: by the time that shock was fitted she had done the test and has her own bike now, so we rarely go on the tiger together now 😄

smart call by da'boss    :017:

Recent Topics