Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clicking sound on start up after a couple of weeks idle ??  (Read 983 times)

Offline NinjaWurzel

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger800xcx
Clicking sound on start up after a couple of weeks idle ??
« on: December 28, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »
Hi Guys -

Had this happen a few times - clicking sound - like the old football rattles on start up - it disappears after 3-4 secs but was a little worrying - any ideas ??
and should I worry ?

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Clicking sound on start up after a couple of weeks idle ??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 05:00:02 PM »
Quite likely just the oil in the hydraulic cam chain tensioner has totally leaked off having been sat unused and it takes a few initial seconds for the engine oil to circulate and for the tensioner to take the chain slack back out.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 10:31:33 AM »
Mine does the same. It sits for long periods unused, so it can sound a bit scary for a second or two when started. No concern to me.

Offline Linc

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 02:32:38 AM »
I noticed the clicking last summer, I realized that I had rolled the bike backwards when it was in gear witht the clutch out thinking it was in neutral, that caused the clicking from the motor its the timing chain.. Same happens when sitting for a while if the oil runs off enough..

Recent Topics

winded-staunch