Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pacific Northwest US - Lake Roesiger  (Read 765 times)

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
Pacific Northwest US - Lake Roesiger
« on: January 04, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
Did a ride around Lake Roesiger yesterday and filmed part of it.  The area is lovely, huge old growth trees and lots of twisties.  This was about 2 pm, and it was already getting dark, so I can't wait until later in the year when I can ride longer.

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 16 Tiger 18 T120
Re: Pacific Northwest US - Lake Roesiger
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:09:49 PM »
Looks like a nice area to ride.  I live in NE Illinois (Chicago suburb)  only thing to see around here is concrete and corn.

Hope to come out your way this summer, maybe not all the way to Washington as it is a little too liberal for me.  (not an invitation for political discussion )

Maybe Montana and Idaho.

I moved to the Tiger 800 last year from an Explorer 1200 which was getting too heavy for this old guy to push around.  The 800 has been a blast to ride.

Ride Safe and enjoy the scenery,

ZShyster

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 05:43:54 AM »
Its a great place to ride. Lots of huge trees and places to go off-road too. I am planning to hit Idaho this year. I have a daughter that lives in Spokane, so pretty close base of operations. Ive been to Idaho a couple times. Some amazing mining trails ways up in the mountains.

Offline ZShyster

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 16 Tiger 18 T120
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 10:05:25 PM »
sprucetiger,

I am a little cautious on logging or mining roads now.  In May 2019, while on my Explorer 1200, I was riding west on Tellico road when I came to this spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35%C2%B016'08.9%22N+83%C2%B034'02.0%22W/@35.2691389,-83.5694109,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d35.2691333!4d-83.5672167

I took a low side fall on the switchback and broke my fibula right above the ankle.  Although I had checked the road out on Google street view I could not tell how steep the climb was, how narrow it got, how the condition of the road had changed, and how overgrown the vegetation had gotten.  Fortunately I had cell service there and the good people from Franklin NC emergency response were able to help me get the bike up and turned down hill.  I snugged up my boot and road three hours back to Maryville TN to my hotel and an urgent care center.

I ride alone almost all of the time, consequently, my caution level on untraveled, unpaved roads is significantly higher now.

Ride Safe,
ZShyster

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
I ride alone almost all of the time, consequently, my caution level on untraveled, unpaved roads is significantly higher now.

COMPLETELY agree.  I have found a local riding group that pairs up people who want to do rides.  I am a pretty paranoid person (safety wise) and would not go on any of these roads alone.  Through a group and a couple reddit posts I have found a couple people who live right next to some of the forest roads I want to ride who have offered to ride them with me and show me their area.

You were quite lucky to have coverage and be able to get out. 

Recent Topics