Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacing swingarm bearings- got some questions  (Read 959 times)

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 13 800 ABS
Replacing swingarm bearings- got some questions
« on: January 04, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »
While doing a clean and grease I found that one of my swingarm pivot bearings is missing a few needles and is in need of replacement.  Am I gonna need to clean off the 20 ton press or will it come out with a socket and a hammer?  Also It doesn't look like there is a lip on either side so I am assuming it can go out either direction or am
I just not seeing it?  Finally if there isn't a lip to stop the new one do I just try to center it in there when the new one goes in?  Didn't see anything in the fsm.  Thanks

/

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
Re: Replacing swingarm bearings- got some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:34:15 AM »
Well replaced it and it does hammer out okay using a socket or properly sized spacer.  (new one went in pretty easily after leaving it in the freezer overnight and heating up the arm a bit with a torch.  No lip so it can go in or out either direction.  The shape of the arm made it too difficult to try on my press.  Just measured how far the old one was in from the one side and then got the new one close.  All went back together nicely and of course I can't notice any difference with a full set of bearings in there.  Cheers.

Offline Hoodpin

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '16 800xrx low
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:08:21 AM »
Curious how often you are looking at those bearings, for that matter, the other pivot points in that assembly? My '16 XRX has 48,000 miles and the rear suspension has been serviced only once since new. On road 90% of the time, no water crossings, one up though I do a good bit of camping with it so it gets loaded up on those trips. Just out of a 12,000 mile service and the area was left alone. Very experienced tech has serviced it since new - well most of the service as I do a good bit in between major stops - but I do trust his judgment.

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 12:49:05 PM »
That was the second time I went in to clean and grease.  Last done when I bought it used with 24k on the odo when I replaced the swingarm as a chain adjuster seized.  It now has about 55k on the odo.  Probably 5-6k of that was off road and I do ride in rain.  Everything was dirty as heck and the collars showing some pitting on the edges and of course one that had chewed up a 1/3 of the needles and a completely black and pitted collar.  I had just one my himalayan as it calls for it ever 6k and figured since I had a tub of fresh grease. 

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 01:44:54 PM »
I just did my 2012 XC, with 12K Miles, and it was actually not that difficult.
There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest the factory greasing can be a bit hit and miss.
I took the opportunity to clean them out, they had grease, but not much, and fit new seals, then use lots of good quality grease.
I am happy now they should be good for many years of service.

Offline benebob

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »
For comparison sake mine were about as dirty as the Enfield at 7k were but that gets a bit more rough terrain then the Tiger since I run knobbies on it so probably 1/2 of those miles were offroad.  As London glide said it really isn't difficult to do.  I was replacing my tires and chain so I was 1/2 way there anyways.  I had done it when I put the used swingarm in 30k before so it had plenty of grease, it was just quite dirty and crunch when you worked to clean the bearings.  The driest was the needles on the lower mount for the shock probably because the location puts it in the elements more.  No ideas what happened to crunch up a 1/3 of the needles in the one side of the swing arm.  I will also mention that the seals had gotten quite hard and came out very easy so I would suspect the will need to be replaced at the next greasing in a few years.  Again it isn't gonna be seeing a ton of offroad now that I have a bike a bit better suited to it.  Mostly stay on fire roads and gravel now. 

Recent Topics

winded-staunch