Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Grip is quite small  (Read 3535 times)

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
Grip is quite small
« on: January 08, 2021, 09:47:27 PM »
The grip on my 2014 Tiger 800 XC is 7/8".  That feels too small to me, I am used to a 1" or larger grip.  Is there a way to upsize the grips? 

I have heated grips, and I can only get a small part of my hand at a time, end up having to change hand position quite a lot while riding.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Grip is quite small
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »
Quite a common problem for a lot of us. An easy answer is neoprene wraps, there are various makes, I have 'Grip Buddies, there are also 'Grip Puppies'. They don't hinder heated grips. :028:

I noticed yesterday actually that they are looking pretty worn and getting smooth so a new set might be on the cards soon, but they have been on around 5yrs so can't complain.  :003:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online cyclops69

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
I use grip puppies and have the Triumph Billet levers. I like them. My controls now feel very plush and provide  better feel (it seems to me anyway). One thing to note is if you have small paws like me theres a little extra stretch to the lever with the puppies. With the billet  levers this is mitigated as theres more  adjustability available. I test rode a Honda CB1000r the other month and couldnt believe how thin and hard/harsh the grip felt.

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 06:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have them on another of my bikes, but it doesn't have heated grips.  I assumed it would interfere, nice to know it will not.  I will definitely be ordering them as I like the feel on my Honda.

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 06:43:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by cyclops69 [+]
I use grip puppies and have the Triumph Billet levers.

What model levers did you buy?  I find the clutch makes me reach for it, no matter how I adjust it.

Online UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 12:08:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by sprucetiger [+]
Thanks for the reply.  I have them on another of my bikes, but it doesn't have heated grips.  I assumed it would interfere, nice to know it will not.  I will definitely be ordering them as I like the feel on my Honda.
You are correct in seeing an added layer of insulation as affecting the heated grips. If one adds an insulator like neoprene foam over the heated surface, the transfer of heat will be slowed. Maybe the foam won't make a noticeable difference but there will be a difference. My experience is that the comfort of the Grip Puppies notably reduced the effectiveness of the mediocre Triumph heated grips. Other folks may have a different experience.

Most of my riding season doesn't call for heated grips so I just enjoy the comfort of the Grip Puppies or comparable other products.

Online cyclops69

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 11:10:31 AM »
I've got the A9620037 Triumph levers - AKA the 'long' (as opposed to the stubby) version of the Triumph billet levers. You might find pattern levers also give more adjustability - such as Puig or Evotech  - or Chinese jobbies.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 05:28:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
.... I noticed yesterday actually that they are looking pretty worn and getting smooth so a new set might be on the cards soon, but they have been on around 5yrs so can't complain.  :003:

Just a quick update for anyone else finding the grips small and possibly considering these. :084:

I contacted Nippy Normans about new replacements because the part shown above that was from him (and listed for the Tiger 800 on the USA Grip Buddies website) isn't available on his site anymore and I couldn't find anyone else selling them. I like the Grip Buddies because they are neoprene unlike the other available Grip Puppies that are foam. Anyway his reply was to try another model, advising they might need trimming, so I took the chance and purchased them and between rain showers fitted them earlier this afternoon.

Here is state of the 5yr old one ....

... and here is the new one fitted, ...

... which I found did indeed need just a little trimmed off the length to allow the edges to line up exactly edge to edge nice and taught.

If you compare the original picture with the replacement grip, listed for other Triumph models, I would actually say the replacement is better because if you look it actually fits better side to side on the width of the bikes grips. :028:

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 06:34:26 PM »
I had the Grip Puppies over my Oxford heated grips. Whilst you could still fee the heat through them, this combination was just too big for my hands, and I didnt feel enough in control of the bike. For me, I think theyd be fine over standard grips.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 07:02:02 PM »
Being the XRt mine are factory fitted Triumph heated grips which I'm fairly sure, based on visually, look no thicker than their standard non-heated grips. Even with the Grip Puppies the grips aren't as thick as I'd ideally like for comfort.. I'd ideally like to fit some nice fat grips like the standard fit Beston ones on my 79 Bonnie .... but then I'd have to forfeit the heated benefit, which definitely helps the finger joints through mild winter riding (plus my Keis heated inner gloves when it gets seriously cold).

Recent Topics