Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wiring burnt out  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Mxmarkb

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800,
Wiring burnt out
« on: January 09, 2021, 08:03:24 AM »
Hoping for a bit of advice.
I have had a problem on my 2012 tiger, only bought bike in November, so I have done a service, changed anti freeze etc. So I was just warming engine up in garage to circulate coolant when after 5 mins the bike just cut out, and lost all electrical power.
On checking fuses I found the 30a fuse on starter solenoid had blown. I replaced this only to see smoke ominous from harness and ecu.
On investigation it has burnt out green wiring from ignition switch back to kill switch and ecu. Ecu has blown, clocks have burnt out two diodes, nightmare!!
On testing rest of bike I have fund the regulator/rectifier has failed diodes.
It is in my opinion the the bike has been seriously overcharging, and this may have caused the problem.  Regulator replaced. Alternator coils tested ok.
I have replaced wiring loom, I have sourced a replacement ecu, same year and similar VIN. I have yet to replace or repair clocks.
My question to you guru's is this.  Do the ecu, immobiliser, and clocks need to communicate, to allow the bike to run? Do I need to have them reprogrammed?
What output do I require from immobiliser yellow and red wires ( currently 2.5v each)

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: Wiring burnt out
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 09:33:43 AM »
ECU & immobiliser must be paired and only a dealer can do this.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Mxmarkb

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 06:33:07 PM »
I have sent my clocks away to have the diodes replaced, then tested.  Once i receive them back I will build bike up to see what is, or is not working. If the programming of ecu, immobiliser, etc needs to be done, I will have to contact Triumph Newcastle to see if the can do the programming.
I think this could end up.being expensive!
Is there anything I can test via OBD ??

Offline Mxmarkb

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 02:09:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
ECU & immobiliser must be paired and only a dealer can do this.

Hi T800xc, I just been reading through the link from guyver, who had a similar problem. The help yourself and the other users gave was great.

I am hoping when I get my clocks back I can move forward in my repair.
If I had read it earlier I would have asked you to look at my clocks, you seem to know what you're doing.

Recent Topics