Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: VIN check  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Simukia

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XRx 2017.
VIN check
« on: January 09, 2021, 08:20:28 PM »
Hi!
I am thinking about buying Triumph tiger XRx 2017., but there is a problem.
The motorcycle is silver in color, but when I checked vehicle identification number at Triumph dealer, they told me that this bike should be white in color.
The seller is convincing me that the bike has never been crashed or repaired, and the seller is also Triumph official dealer.
Does anyone knows is it possible that the bike hasn't been repainted.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: VIN check
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 12:37:27 AM »
Its not uncommon for bikes to get colour changed pre-sale. That is, all coloured parts are swapped with another bike to fulfil a specific order. If you can identify the original selling Dealer or original owner they might be able to confirm if that happened. It would be far less likely that a crashed bike would get painted a different colour unless its an opportunistic colour change by an owner who wants to hang onto the bike. Id also get the current dealer to double check the VIN (or you can send me the last 6 digits of the VIN and I can check it for you).

Offline Simukia

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »
Thanks Aussie Tiger, I don't think it has been after-sale painted either, but my biggest concern is that I would have a problem selling it in the future because of it. I'll send You the VIN and I would appreciate if You can check it.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 10:34:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simukia [+]
Thanks Aussie Tiger, I don't think it has been after-sale painted either, but my biggest concern is that I would have a problem selling it in the future because of it. I'll send You the VIN and I would appreciate if You can check it.

Yes, it shows as Crystal White. If youre worried about it you should approach the original selling Dealer and find out what happened. Im sure youll find it was a pre-sale colour swap, although I suppose it is possible that the listing with Triumph is simply wrong.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 10:50:41 AM »
Is it a real bargain (low) price or correct asking price for an equivelant Tiger without this issue? If you have doubt and are not 100% happy with the answers and/or proof for the reason then it would probably be best to pass on this one and continue to look until you find a bike you are totally happy with. This could be a simple colour change but the issue might negatively stick in your mind and as you said if you want to sell it on while still of value you could have the same issue as the current seller trying to explain the issue.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Simukia

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 01:19:21 PM »
Thanks Aussie Tiger, I'll contact the seller and see what is he going to say about it.
Thanks Stivie P. this bike is exactly what i am looking for, but with this issue i am not sure, first to see the seller's explanation

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »
Hi
 I bought a used Thruxton, not through a dealer, he'd had it custom painted before he picked it up  from the dealer but the registration document still had it as the original colour, don't ask me why. I queried this when I bought it and he said he'd never realised as he'd not had to have the vehicle MOT'd, he showed me all the docs and receipts showing where and when it had been done, anyway I was able to put it right on the reg doc by informing the DVLA, so not sure if you have the same reg process in Croatia

Offline Simukia

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 07:31:12 PM »
Yes Crispey,  changing a color in documents is not a problem here, but when it comes to buying a bike whose color does not match the one in the documents I am not sure. I have to investigate that.

Offline Simukia

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 01:05:08 PM »
The seller confirmed that it was a colour change, but did not want to lower the price much. He said that i had an official Triumph dealer guarantee. Maybe he is right. Anyway the bike is on its way to its new residence.

Recent Topics