Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 Production  (Read 1816 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Tiger 800 Production
« on: January 11, 2021, 02:44:15 AM »
Just out of interest.. I'd always been given to understand that all the Tiger 800s were built at Triumph's plant in Thailand but I saw on a Youtube video recently that the earlier 800s were built in the UK and that production was later switched to the Thailand plant.. I know Youtube is never wrong  :038: but does anybody know if this is true and if so when did it happen ?..

Offline AvgBear

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 2993
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
  • Location: Missouri USA
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 05:44:05 AM »
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline dragon88

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 22
  • Location: Asia
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:03:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Poacher67 [+]
Just out of interest.. I'd always been given to understand that all the Tiger 800s were built at Triumph's plant in Thailand but I saw on a Youtube video recently that the earlier 800s were built in the UK and that production was later switched to the Thailand plant.. I know Youtube is never wrong  :038: but does anybody know if this is true and if so when did it happen ?..

FYI, there are actually 3 Triumph factories in Thailand.

Offline benebob

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 146
  • Bike: 13 800 ABS
  • Location: LANCASTER - USA
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:28:22 AM »
My 13 (and likely my last  newer Triumph unless they move production back home) was made in England.  I have no issues with manufacturing elsewhere but I also expect price to be lowered if made in a plant where labor is cheaper.  Had looked into getting one of the last of the 800s as I'm not a fan of the 900 styling until I remembered they were no longer made in England. 

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 03:08:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by dragon88 [+]
FYI, there are actually 3 Triumph factories in Thailand.
Yes indeed and by far the bulk of Triumph's total output is built there. I haven't checked mine yet and although I must admit I'd like it to be Hinkley built I'm not too bothered, I was just interested because I'd always thought they were all built in Thailand..

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 03:30:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by benebob [+]
My 13 (and likely my last  newer Triumph unless they move production back home) was made in England.  I have no issues with manufacturing elsewhere but I also expect price to be lowered if made in a plant where labor is cheaper.  Had looked into getting one of the last of the 800s as I'm not a fan of the 900 styling until I remembered they were no longer made in England.
I would agree with you regarding the cheaper labour costs in Thailand. It would be nice to think the Triumph are passing at least some of their savings onto the buyer because even if you knock off the cost of shipping the bikes to the UK, Europe etc.. they must still be making substantial savings, after all they're not not building their bikes in Thailand just out of the goodness of their hearts.. 
I've read the thread at the link provided by Avgbear and just for interest's sake I'll be checking my bike tomorrow (2013 XC so from what I've read it's got about a 50/50 chance of being Hinkley built) - I'm not massively concerned because I bought it assuming all Tiger 800s were built in Thailand and was surprised to discover that they weren't. Despite this, now that there is a slight possibility it was built in Hinkley I have to admit that there's a little part of me that is hoping it was !..

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 03:37:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Thanks for that AvgBear, There's some interesting views on there and I have to admit I was surprised to discover that Youtuber was correct after all ! - I'll check mine out of curiosity but I'm not too concerned as I bought it assuming that all Tiger 800s were Thai-built anyway..

Offline posty

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 43
  • Posty
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX 16
  • Location: Abergavenny
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 09:30:37 AM »
Hi - interestingly I went to Hinckley for a factory tour in 2019 (great by the way highly recommended) and they said that all bikes destined for UK and EU markets were shipped to Hinckley first even if made in Thailand then distrubuted out.
I asked about Thailand production, and all the Thai engineers and I think production line guys too were brought over to UK for training before starting work over there - my 2014 Bonneville was built in Hinckley - forget how but I managed to find out with VIN number, and out of interest I will check my 2016 Tiger 800 XRX, but its a cracking bike and I don;t really mind.
It's a pity Triumph let themselves down with suspension on these bikes though, with non-adjustable forks and basic rear shock (I have changed both and improved the ride no end), but apparently many manufacturers do the same - come on, motorcycle industry, we riders are all different sizes and weights,  we need adjustment!!

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 10:01:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by posty [+]
Hi - interestingly I went to Hinckley for a factory tour in 2019 (great by the way highly recommended) and they said that all bikes destined for UK and EU markets were shipped to Hinckley first even if made in Thailand then distrubuted out.
I asked about Thailand production, and all the Thai engineers and I think production line guys too were brought over to UK for training before starting work over there - my 2014 Bonneville was built in Hinckley - forget how but I managed to find out with VIN number, and out of interest I will check my 2016 Tiger 800 XRX, but its a cracking bike and I don;t really mind.
It's a pity Triumph let themselves down with suspension on these bikes though, with non-adjustable forks and basic rear shock (I have changed both and improved the ride no end), but apparently many manufacturers do the same - come on, motorcycle industry, we riders are all different sizes and weights,  we need adjustment!!
Regarding the training.. I'd read that somewhere, probably in one of the classic bike magazines ?.. I've no real issue with where mine was built because I'd thought until now that all of the Tiger 800s were built in Thailand. I bought mine believing this so if it does turn out to have been built in Hinkley I suppose it's a bonus ! - if you click on the link kindly provided above by AvgBear it tells you how to confirm where your bike was made, basically a small sticker on the headstock near the frame number or on the VIN plate under the pillion seat..)
When I first started looking for a Tiger I confess I was surprised to find out that a bike with some off-road capability didn't have adjustable forks but nobody seemed to be too troubled by it and I've not found it a problem personally (and I'm no lightweight I'm afraid..) From what I gather the WP suspension on the later bikes is better and of course has some adjustment on the forks..

Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3701
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Tiger 800 Production
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 10:20:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by benebob [+]
I have no issues with manufacturing elsewhere but I also expect price to be lowered if made in a plant where labor is cheaper.

AIUI .... because it is 'foreign' made it attracts UK import tax when shipped in as a complete bike to be sold here in the UK, even if the heritage things has you convinced it's British.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


 


Recent Topics


winded-staunch