Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tinnitus and Covid  (Read 413 times)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Tinnitus and Covid
« on: January 11, 2021, 12:43:19 PM »
I thought this would be appropriate in here as tinnitus can be a consequence of riding without hearing protection (I'm pretty sure that's how mine came about).

A little while after getting Covid-19, I noticed that my tinnitus was more intrusive. It didn't seem more intense, but while I used to pretty much tune it out all the time and only really noticed it when the subject got raised, or on the occasions (maybe every couple of months) when for some reason it got louder for a while, now it's more noticeable. I wondered if it might be Covid related as Mrs Zero has had her sense of taste affected, so there are presumably potentially some neurological effects, and I finally got round to using a popular search engine to check it out. And this is what I found: https://www.thebsa.org.uk/covid-19-is-making-tinnitus-worse-new-study/

So, if you have tinnitus, beware of Covid. Beware of it anyway, but it's just another reason to keep away from people and get vaccinated as soon as you can.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
Re: Tinnitus and Covid
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
Yes, I have T in my left ear which the Dr said was brought about by a viral infection I had many years ago.
A few years ago I had another viral "thing" that, at the time, made it worse, though thankfully it wore off again since then
I've been on  "SERC 16" (Betahistine Dihydrochloride)which is the drug for Meniere's disease(vertigo) and that calms the T down considerably.
Always wear ear plugs when on the bike..

Online Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 12:57:54 PM »
Very informative, thanks for posting
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 03:37:16 PM »
Yes - I also have tinnitus and have lost most of the mid to high frequencies in my hearing - probably as a result of loud concerts when younger and motorcycling with no ear plugs since 1977 - I now wear hearing aids when off the bike and ear plugs when on it just to preserve what I have left.

Am also studiously avoiding as many people as I possibly can until Covid is hopefully more in control and the wife and I have had our jabs, although I suspect that I may have had it back last March as we flew back from a month in OZ - 3 planes and 36 hours of flying / airports - just two days before they stopped all flights.

A fortnight after we got back I had what I thought was flu but after I was completely knackered - could not even walk round the block without stopping for a rest - in OZ we had been walking 10 miles plus on some days with no issues

Either way I hope the vaccine works and that I can get the tiger back out before too long.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 03:42:33 PM »
"Either way I hope the vaccine works and that I can get the tiger back out before too long."

ASAP  :001: :001:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch