Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: UK LED Conversion and MOT testing  (Read 1808 times)

Offline JW

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
UK LED Conversion and MOT testing
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »
Looks like swapping halogen bulbs to LED will cause an MOT failure going forwards - posted online yesterday.....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

Page summary:
Inspection processes and rules for motorcycle, scooter, moped and motorcycle combination (class 1 and 2 vehicle) MOT tests.

Change made:
Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment 4.1.4 Headlamps Compliance with requirements Sentence changed from Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp. to Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
2018 Tiger 800 XRx Gen 3 Blue

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
Re: UK LED Conversion and MOT testing
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:30:14 PM »
What about the leds that drop straight in ?

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:47:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
Seems to be covered as a fail - which is not surprising
"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

Dropping them in is still technically converting them to LED !

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 06:18:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
Definitely a fail.

LED replacements emit a different beam pattern to halogen lamps so the headlamp unit (reflectors / lenses) won't be optimised for the LEDs.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Ragtop

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 16 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:21 PM »
This has thrown me for a loop today! Literally yesterday one of my LED headlights failed and I returned them to Amazon (More fool me for buying something cheap, expecting durability - mind you it only lasted about 5 rides, about a month or two!).

Not 24 hours later does this thread pop up.

Does anyone know of any legal replacements for the stock bulbs, that match the cool white light of the Triumph aux lights? Thats the only reason I switched to them.

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:04:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ragtop [+]
Does anyone know of any legal replacements for the stock bulbs, that match the cool white light of the Triumph aux lights? Thats the only reason I switched to them.
Try something xenon-filled instead of halogen, such as Osram Nightbreakers or similar. They're likely to be the closest you'll get.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 10:44:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by matt748 [+]
So heres my update. Went for Philips X-tremeVision, on sale at euro car parts for 23.02
Photo shows OE on the left, new on right. Theyre definitely whiter, have a tinge of blue and are closer in whiteness to the LED fogs.

Happy so far.

Offline Ragtop

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 16 800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 11:22:40 PM »
Just what Im after. Thanks chaps.

Good reports of the Philips Racing Vision for brightness and colour, anyone tested those?

Offline ChildoftheJago

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 07:19:14 AM »
Thats going to be a pain now, having to put the halogens back in just for the MOT..

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 08:59:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ragtop [+]
Good reports of the Philips Racing Vision for brightness and colour, anyone tested those?
Used them in my car; strong light output, but only slightly whiter than standard bulbs and only lasted a year. Much happier with Osram Nightbraker Plus; they're as bright, whiter and have lasted two years so far.

Recent Topics