Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: UK LED Conversion and MOT testing  (Read 1048 times)

JW, pme, Londonglide, Mav and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
Re: UK LED Conversion and MOT testing
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 09:08:07 AM »
On a slight tangent, but still relevant to this, I think, and I am no expert on this, but the Regulator is a shunt type on these bikes, so unused power is dumped through the regulator, creating heat.
I think that the LED bikes have a smaller capacity stator, I wonder if the obsession with reducing power consumption may lead to extra strain on the R/R?. If you reduce the headlight wattage by 70 Watts, that "lost"70 watts  is still generated by the stator, and will dump through the regulator..

Happy to be proved wrong, as I am not totally sure about this, but we did have a thread on Regulators a while back.

Offline Ragtop

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 16 800 XCA
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:12:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
Used them in my car; strong light output, but only slightly whiter than standard bulbs and only lasted a year. Much happier with Osram Nightbraker Plus; they're as bright, whiter and have lasted two years so far.

Thanks - just had a pair of Night Breakers delivered. Once the rain gives up I'll get them in!

Offline Tiger4Two

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:10:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by JW [+]
Looks like swapping halogen bulbs to LED will cause an MOT failure going forwards - posted online yesterday.....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

Page summary:
Inspection processes and rules for motorcycle, scooter, moped and motorcycle combination (class 1 and 2 vehicle) MOT tests.

Change made:
Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment 4.1.4 Headlamps Compliance with requirements Sentence changed from Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp. to Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

The identical 4.1.4 change has been made to the inspection of cars and passenger vehicles so it looks like there could be some bulb swapping going on pre/post MOT. However in the event of a crunch an eagle-eyed insurance assessor could justifiably invalidate your insurance at the stroke of a pen.  :013:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/updates
Technology. Life was so much simpler before the invention of the wheel!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch