Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TC disabled and Engine warning light  (Read 1768 times)

Offline centaur62

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger800XRt
TC disabled and Engine warning light
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:40:07 PM »
 Changed the oil and filter two weeks ago, took it out for a spin and all good. Bike garaged between work and Covid but set off for a gallop this afternoon and after a short distance TC disabled and engine warning light came on. Toggled to the TC control and it shows enabled? Engine light I don't know, bike is running sweet.
On a seperate note I think the LH brake disc is warped, running out by 0.2mm leading to pulsing at the lever slowing down to a stop. Only 17000km on the clock.  :006:
Any thoughts?

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: TC disabled and Engine warning light
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:44:47 PM »
Any ABS light on and/or loss of speedo - (possibly intermittently)?
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline centaur62

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »
No, ABS light goes out as normal, speedo works fine, into the dealer this morning.

Offline VicXCrider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »
The front disc are floating 0.2mm is not much runout, in the past I have cleaned out the buttons with brake cleaner by spinning them, worth a try for 1 tin of brake cleaner.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 11:55:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by centaur62 [+]
No, ABS light goes out as normal, speedo works fine, into the dealer this morning.

Probably too late for this event, but there is a method to identify the (majority) of fault codes even if you don't have Tigertool and a cable.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,14967.0.html

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 07:07:19 AM »
yes, it could well be that the wheel speed pickups on the rotor are not working properly, either dirty or out of alignment. That would give erroneous signals to the ECU and ABS.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline centaur62

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 03:39:39 PM »
OK, when checking the runout on the disc with a dial guage I  mounted the magnetic foot on a fork stanchion, checked the runout and thought no more about it.
Reading the Haynes manual it warns to keep magnetic devices clear of the ABS sensor otherwise it could become magnetised leading to a fault light which it has.
Any way out of this or am I looking at a new sensor.

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 04:12:50 PM »
If ABS light is going out as normal when you start riding then not likely to be a sensor issue.

Have you followed Stevie.P's link to check for fault codes. Definitely the place to start if TC and engine lights came on.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline centaur62

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »
On the way back from the dealer this morning with the alarms cleared (supposedly) after only a mile the lights popped up again, the ABS light stayed on but it could be the case it always was just I didn't notice it as I was fixated on the others. Why not return to the dealer? I don't trust them as one of the recommendations was to fit a new chain  :023: don't ask.
Read Stevie P's guide but mine is Gen2 Tiger.
Would a stuffed ABS sensor give a Traction Control and Engine warning light.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 05:02:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by centaur62 [+]
Read Stevie P's guide but mine is Gen2 Tiger.

... and :187: ... the guide, posted early 2015, clearly indicates on the 2nd line it is for the 2nd gen Tiger onwards, XCx/XRx (the XRt is an XRx with a few extras fitted).

The reason I asked about ABS and speedo is I had a similar fault. I had had intermittent loss of speedo, ABS, T/C and MIL lights on. I started at the rear sensor (speedo signal), which I renewed, to eventually find (with the aid of Tigertool, T800XC himself and a random comment on another thread) that I was totally on the wrong path.

So, even though slightly short of the symptoms I had:
1. carry out the process in my original link and hopefully determine the fault code.
2. If you have a multimeter check your static battery voltage (around 12.8v) and then your idling/increased voltage (around 14.3v). All my woes were a failing rectifier/regulator, I had 19v at idle and it was the cause of all my weird fault lights.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:21:50 PM by Stevie.P »

Recent Topics