Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 12k service at a dealer  (Read 1384 times)

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
12k service at a dealer
« on: January 18, 2021, 04:11:54 PM »
Hi all my Tiger has hit the 12k mark, but due to covid i've ridden it hardly any miles. I usually take the Tiger 800 xc to a local garage but he's now retired, so I did most of the service myself, air filter, coolant change, brake check. head stock bearing grease, didn't think while I had the tank off doing the air filter to get spark plugs idiot lol

I've looked at the Muddy Sump video's and watched him do the shims, but not 100% confident. So I thinking should I find another local garage, anyone recommend someone in Cornwall or should I go to the main dealer? My thinking with the main dealer is they do map upgrades, will balance the injectors, reset the timing tensioner and also do the shims. Is it worth the Tiger seeing the inside of a main dealer every 12k miles?

When  originally took my bike to a small garage I printed off the service sheet, as recommended by Triumph they basically give it me back said they didn't need it. been like it ever since no matter who I go to.

I have tried Muddy Sump but he's to far away from me, unless he wants a holiday in Cornwall or come and see the G7 Summit this summer.

One other question, if i use a dealer this once, and I have changed the oil ect are they ok with this or do they change it again, and charge me again?

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
Re: 12k service at a dealer
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 05:01:34 PM »
I would email muddysump and find out if he is planning a trip to cornwall (he does travel around the country). If you do have to use a dealer there is no reason why you couldn't give them a list of whats been done and what you want done! They don't have to drop the oil or coolant to do the top end stuff. You say you have done the head bearings, remember that the rear swingarm and pivot bearings also need done. It really is a stinker of a service for a bike that's only 12000 miles old!
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Online samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
Why not do the work you feel happy to do and then go to the dealer or other independent and specifically ask them to do the jobs you do not feel happy doing.

I don't have any experience of motorcycle servicing in Cornwall so can't help with specifics, but the main dealer would have access to the current ecu tunes which an independent may not have.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 06:17:02 PM »
I did the shims earlier this winter on my non-XC and it turned out to be pretty easy.  Just involved a lot of swearing and ranting when I forgot to line the cams up before putting it half back together.

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:57:02 AM »
I'm planning to check / adjust my shims at the next service, I do all the other work so how hard can it be  :017:

The only thing I'm wondering is how easy (or hard) is it to check the exhaust valves as there seems very little room, do you need bent feeler gauges  :261:

Offline posty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »
Yes its tricky to get your feeler gauges into some of the cams, and involves bending them a bit - I did mine early last year but from memory you need a decent set of feelers as the variation in gap is quite small.Do-able though - I was lucky and didnt have to re-shim any, but it pays to do the job when you dont need to use the bike for a week or more in case you have to order shims

Good luck - I found the service to test my mechanical skills and needed a few special tools like peg spanner for headstock lube, Torx bit set for checking engine bolt tightness, large allen socket for front wheel etc - best to check before starting - I used Haynes manual in conjunction with Muddy sump vids and Triton manual

Offline kbar800

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 800 Road
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 02:07:02 PM »

Muddy Sump will do your valve clearance check / shim as a stand alone job -   much cheaper than a dealer.
Strip the plastics & tank , and save even more.
My Tiger is now at 14k with no issues  - but better checked than sorry !
Its the only job that i don't feel confident doing myself too.
Booked to do mine in June  as in hes Cumbria  :031:
Living the dream - early retired

Recent Topics