Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Swing arm greasing advise  (Read 1722 times)

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
Swing arm greasing advise
« on: January 19, 2021, 03:21:28 PM »
I've been tackling some of the service jobs on my 2012 Tiger XC, it's due its 12k service I been on the forum for some advice already, tackled some of the easier jobs already, someone mentioned the swing arm bearing may need greasing, I've done the headstock bearing already thanks to Muddy Sumps great videos on Utube. I'm going to take the rear wheel out to do chain rubbing strip so ideal time to look at the greasing. Is it a straight forward job or do you need special tools (spring compressor) or odd size sockets, when I came to do the head stock bearing, thanks to Muddy Sump I'd already bought the suitable sockets required.

Also anyone no of any how to videos for this job? Is it relatively straight forward?

Its so easy to take it to a dealer or independent garage but I enjoy having a go myself when i can.

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
Re: Swing arm greasing advise
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 04:31:32 PM »
Nothing complicated and no special tools (except a torque wrench - values range from 80Nm - 110Nm) oh and marine spec grease (NLGI-2) for the bearings. You'll spend more time cleaning than you will dismantling. The rear shock can be left hanging by its upper bolt. I did a search for a video as reference but I don't think there are any! Give yourself 2-3 hours!
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Offline romanrick

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800xc
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »
Yes it's not a difficult job, generally the swinging arm bearings are ok but the link bearings need re-greasing as they get all the water and muck thrown at them.

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 12:16:58 PM »
Brilliant news, thanks to both of you, I'll get myself  geared up to have a go and get a chain rubbing strip at the same time. :)

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 12:36:06 PM »
The new style chain strip  https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/T2051710 is a new style with a lower damper strip as well as the top.
It comes with all parts required, 1 outer part, and two damper strips.
Its apparently meant to reduce the amount of free lash on the underside of the arm, reducing chain noise etc.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:41:17 PM by Londonglide »

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 12:53:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
The new style chain strip  https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/T2051710 is a new style with a lower damper strip as well as the top.
It comes with all parts required, 1 outer part, and two damper strips.
Its apparently meant to reduce the amount of free lash on the underside of the arm, reducing chain noise etc.

I just bought one of these kits for my 2014 800 XC.  Planning to install this weekend, and might as well grease the swing arm bearing while I am about it.  Looks quite a bit different than what is on there now, so will be interesting to see if I can tell a difference while riding.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 07:43:50 PM »
Apparently there will be a lot less chain slap with the new style, as the lower run has somewhere to vent its anger rather than on a hard surface...

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 04:49:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by pennpeel [+]
I've been tackling some of the service jobs on my 2012 Tiger XC, it's due its 12k service I been on the forum for some advice already, tackled some of the easier jobs already, someone mentioned the swing arm bearing may need greasing, I've done the headstock bearing already thanks to Muddy Sumps great videos on Utube. I'm going to take the rear wheel out to do chain rubbing strip so ideal time to look at the greasing. Is it a straight forward job or do you need special tools (spring compressor) or odd size sockets, when I came to do the head stock bearing, thanks to Muddy Sump I'd already bought the suitable sockets required.

Also anyone no of any how to videos for this job? Is it relatively straight forward?

Its so easy to take it to a dealer or independent garage but I enjoy having a go myself when i can.

This is a really well done video on the subject of swingarm service:

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 08:52:13 PM »
Thanks for this, BurntEnds. very interesting.

Offline grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 06:41:06 PM »
I grease my swinging arm bearings every year, I find it quite rewarding, plus you can 'deep clean' the bike 😀
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Recent Topics

winded-staunch