Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Swing arm greasing advise  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Swing arm greasing advise
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 08:46:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tallpaul [+]
Thanks for this, BurntEnds. very interesting.

:0461:

I'm getting all the bits together ready for better weather, no garage, to do a full 24k service on my bike and last week ordered all the seals ready as I will renew them all anyway. I ordered the 4 wheel bearing seals (and bought a set of titanium rear wheel spacers off ebay), 8 drop link seals and 4 swing arm seals online from a reputable bearing company. My only concern following that video is that on the clip the swing arm seals were cone shaped and I've obviously bought standard seals based on the parts catalogue sizes. Not too much of an issue though, total bill for seals 38.06 and those 4 seals 8.40 if wrong. On the plus side I totalled up the seals from Triumph, first on Fowlers who possibly haven't applied the recent price increases hence 89.06 and then on WOT who look as if they have updated the prices - 121.12 ...  :005:

Needless to say if I find any bearing issues I will be buying replacements from the same seal supplier who has options from cheap through various top brand makes and I'll likely stay with NSK as OEM. P&P was free and goods arrived within 2 days. :028:

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 09:24:10 AM »
The cone shaped ones are not seals per se. They fit between the outer seal, and the frame, and are probably more cosmetic than anything, but possibly provide some protection. It is extremely unlikely they will need replacing.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 09:42:42 AM »
I see why I missed that, he never actually pulled out any actual seals, so yes I should have no problem reusing those. As I would only strip to this level every 24k I'm quite happy to renew the seals to allow for any wear on the seal lip. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 04:58:25 PM »
excellent u tube clip thanks for posting  :001:

Offline Woody800

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XCx
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 10:06:46 PM »
Just finished this job today, swingarm and shock removed for cleaning and greasing whilst changing chain and sprockets.

The bearings on the swingarm where the linkage attached were particularly dry, hasn't even done 12k miles yet.

A good days work but definitely worth doing.

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 07:47:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I see why I missed that, he never actually pulled out any actual seals, so yes I should have no problem reusing those. As I would only strip to this level every 24k I'm quite happy to renew the seals to allow for any wear on the seal lip. :028:

I had one seal where the grippy spring that sits inside the seal had popped out. I slipped it back in the lip and it has held perfectly. My dealer said the bearing seals were backordered with a 2-4 week delay to source from the UK, so I'm glad I didn't need any. I took off the swing arm and noted some erosion from chain slap due to the older style rubbing strip. The updated rubbing strip seems to address the chain slap wear location.

Took the time to put on a 25mm raising link as well, and swap out the dog bone locknuts for new ones. Triumph say not to reuse lock nuts, and as I had taken them off twice, I didn't want to risk issues to save $5 worth of locknuts.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch