Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: fitting later model WP forks  (Read 1009 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 29
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
fitting later model WP forks
« on: January 23, 2021, 11:31:38 PM »
Does anybody know whether the late model XCA WP fork legs fit the early model XC yokes (a.k.a. triple trees) or would I have to fit the later yokes too and is there anything else that wouldn't fit/line up ?.. Best wishes to all.

Offline Aussie Tiger

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 186
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
  • Location: Canberra, Aust
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
Both upper and lower yokes have the same part numbers for XC models across all 3 gens. All Tiger 800s (Road and XC) have the same brake rotors. Probably the only thing to check will be the mounting points for the brake calliper and from what I can tell there may be no problem there either. While the callipers have different part numbers across the gens this is perhaps just due to colour - gold/black but also because Gen 3 are Brembo. However the WP forks themselves, which incorporate the calliper mounts, have the same part numbers in Gen 2 and Gen 3. Everything points to Gen 1 callipers fitting OK but you perhaps should check that to be sure.

Offline Londonglide

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
  • Bike: xc
  • Location: LondonTown
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »
I fitted a set of Late model Brembo's to my 2012Xc, and they bolted straight on, so no problem there.
The Brembos contact the disc slightly higher, so if you have lipped discs, it might affect the braking, but I only have 14K on mine, so the discs were still pretty flat.

Offline Ragtop

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 38
  • Bike: 16 800 XCA
  • Location: Kent, UK
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 01:04:51 PM »
Londonglide did you feel much of an improvement going from the Nissin to the Brembo calipers?

Offline Londonglide

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
  • Bike: xc
  • Location: LondonTown
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
I think there some difference in braking ability, they seem a little more responsive, but they are not fully bedded in.
I fitted new pads of the same type as the ones in my Nissin Callipers.
I think they will be an improvement when fully seated, but I only have a few hundred miles on  since changing them.
I will say that they were in nice condition compared to my originals, and much newer, although I had overhauled my originals recently, the Brembos were a steal from an auction site.
I prefer the way the Brembo's are made, with the pistons having what appears to be some form of coating, possibly ceramic or anodised?
They were very smooth in the bores when I checked them, and I like the way the locating pin is held in by  clips, not screwed in.
Overall I think they would only make sense if you were in need of replacement callipers, or they came up at a good price.
My experience with the 1995 Carb Tiger I had was the older parts become more difficult to source, if like me you keep bikes for a long time, it is nice to know they can be retrofitted.
And they are black, which I prefer to the gold of the originals.

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 29
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 11:11:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aussie Tiger [+]
Both upper and lower yokes have the same part numbers for XC models across all 3 gens. All Tiger 800s (Road and XC) have the same brake rotors. Probably the only thing to check will be the mounting points for the brake calliper and from what I can tell there may be no problem there either. While the callipers have different part numbers across the gens this is perhaps just due to colour - gold/black but also because Gen 3 are Brembo. However the WP forks themselves, which incorporate the calliper mounts, have the same part numbers in Gen 2 and Gen 3. Everything points to Gen 1 callipers fitting OK but you perhaps should check that to be sure.
Thanks very much for that Aussie Tiger, a really comprehensive answer which reassures me that apart from the possible caliper mounting issue the WP forks will very likely be a fit for my 2013 XC - I've been thinking about it for a while, mainly due to the WP forks being adjustable but I don't know whether it's a sensible or cost effective modification because I don't know if they perform markedly better overall than the originals ?..

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 29
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 11:29:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
I fitted a set of Late model Brembo's to my 2012Xc, and they bolted straight on, so no problem there.
The Brembos contact the disc slightly higher, so if you have lipped discs, it might affect the braking, but I only have 14K on mine, so the discs were still pretty flat.
Thanks Londonglide - Looks like this solves the caliper mounting question, although if your new Brembo calipers ride a little higher on the disc with original forks maybe Nissin calipers will ride a little low when used with WP forks ? - I suppose it won't matter too much as long as the friction material of the pads still runs completely on the friction area of the discs..

Offline Aussie Tiger

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 186
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
  • Location: Canberra, Aust
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 04:56:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Poacher67 [+]
Thanks very much for that Aussie Tiger, a really comprehensive answer which reassures me that apart from the possible caliper mounting issue the WP forks will very likely be a fit for my 2013 XC - I've been thinking about it for a while, mainly due to the WP forks being adjustable but I don't know whether it's a sensible or cost effective modification because I don't know if they perform markedly better overall than the originals ?..

I thought the WP forks on my XCX were excellent and frankly was surprised theyd been swapped for Showa on the 900 as I felt they were perfect. Then I was further surprised to find that the Showa are indeed better. The problem with the Tiger is that its been so unbelievably good through each generation yet somehow Triumph has managed to improve on what was already pretty perfect. The WP will be better but I suspect not by a huge amount. What you really gain is adjustability. For what its worth the fully adjustable WPs on my 800 and the fully adjustable Showa on my 900 have remained on factory settings......

Offline Londonglide

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 175
  • Bike: xc
  • Location: LondonTown
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 08:03:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Poacher67 [+]
Thanks Londonglide - Looks like this solves the caliper mounting question, although if your new Brembo calipers ride a little higher on the disc with original forks maybe Nissin calipers will ride a little low when used with WP forks ? - I suppose it won't matter too much as long as the friction material of the pads still runs completely on the friction area of the discs..

Its the shape of the pads within the calliper.
The Brembos are much slimmer, and if you look at them side by side, it seems the Nissin has a larger footprint, as it were.
If you are fitting the original callipers with the original wheel/disc combo, but with WP forks, I am confident it will put the pads in the same place as they were before, in relation to the discs.

Offline Poacher67

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 29
  • Bike: 2013 800 XC ABS
  • Location: Lincs UK
Re: fitting later model WP forks
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Its the shape of the pads within the calliper.
The Brembos are much slimmer, and if you look at them side by side, it seems the Nissin has a larger footprint, as it were.
If you are fitting the original callipers with the original wheel/disc combo, but with WP forks, I am confident it will put the pads in the same place as they were before, in relation to the discs.
Ah, I see what you mean..

 


Recent Topics