Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Centrestand vs. third party?  (Read 984 times)

Offline Ragtop

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 16 800 XCA
OEM Centrestand vs. third party?
« on: January 27, 2021, 10:49:09 AM »
As many of you know, the centre stand on the Tiger 800 is a bit of a b**** to deploy. With the right technique it's easier than I first found it, but in anything other than optimal conditions it's considerably harder than on my mate's F800GS.

Does anyone have any experience with one of the third party solutions such as SW-Motech or Heed, and how they compare?

I'm considering fitting the Free Spirits 10mm lowering links (most conservative lowering kit I can find). I know that'll make the stand that much harder to rock up onto, hence the desire to find something a little easier. Keen not to cut the stock one down if I can avoid it!

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: OEM Centrestand vs. third party?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:29:07 AM »
I know this doesnt really answer your question but heres a couple of alternatives to consider.
Fit some bobbins and get a paddock stand. No use on the road but very handy in the garage.
Try running the back wheel onto a board before using the centre stand. Trial and error will give you optimum thickness to minimise the amount of lift and therefore effort needed.

Offline Ragtop

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
Appreciate the input Aussie.

I do have a small board where the bike lives to reduce the strain, and I also have a paddock stand for the odd occasions I need to do any work that involves removing the stand.

Unfortunately the issue tends to present itself more when you're out and about and the surface is less predictable - I've no desire to carry a chock with me to help lift the bike onto the stand to be honest! I've been considering welding in a little extra to the foot lever to give a little more push, as well as potentially chopping 10mm off the leg length.

Offline Aussie Tiger

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
As youre lowering the bike maybe the stand from an XRX/XRT would work for you.

Offline Ragtop

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 01:41:56 PM »
I'd been considering that, but as I'd be doing such a small drop (10mm) I don't know if the shorter stand from the lowered bike would be too short, not getting the wheels off the ground?

Feels like 10mm is a real middle ground! I think I'll go for the links and see how it is.

Offline dasf

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XCA 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »
Have not tested any other centre stand other than OEM for my Triumph 800 XCA but agree that the centre stand is very difficult to use compared to other bikes. I'm pretty sure it has something to do where the mount is located (wrongly??) on the bike and do not think it helps with a non OEM when using the same mounting point.
Has instead mounted a lift handle that make the lift much easier compared to just gripping the frame.

Past bikes from 1965: Husqvarna Silverpilen 175 cc, Honda 305 Super Hawk, Triumph Bonneville 650, BSA Spitfire 650, Norton 650 SS, Velocette Truxton, Honda 450 Black Bomber, Honda Transalp, Honda Africa Twin, BMW R100RT, BMW R1200 GS, Honda Varadero, Yamaha TDM900, Triumph 800 XCA

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 04:05:09 PM »
I managed to bend my centre stand while riding on a forest service road with some really nasty potholes.  The stand came down and hit a rock and twisted enough and now the bike feels like it's about to fall over when I try to put it up on the stand.  I'm going to replace it with the SW-Motech stand.  I chose SW-Motech because the stop plate is more horizontal across the top and I'm hoping it will be easier to zip-tie the stand in the up position so it doesn't drop down and bend again.  I'm just waiting for a paddock stand to be delivered and then I'll be swapping it out, hopefully within a week or so.  I'll come back and let you know if it's any easier to use than the OEM stand.

Offline Ragtop

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 04:17:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Much appreciated though, look forward to your feedback.

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 04:24:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ragtop [+]
Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Much appreciated though, look forward to your feedback.

It wasn't really bad luck.  I was having fun.  I'm slowly breaking off OEM parts and replacing them with something else.

I put the SW-Motech centre stand on tonight.  It lifts the back tire a little higher than the OEM stand, maybe not quite an inch or so.  I wouldn't say it's harder (or easier) to get the bike up on this stand, but it's different than the OEM stand.  It took me a couple attempts to figure out where to grab the bike.  I had to grab a bit lower on the frame but then it's fairly easy.

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 03:28:30 PM »
I have the SW Motech on an XC and once you get the knack it's easy.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch