Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pyramid Ducktail  (Read 583 times)

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX
Pyramid Ducktail
« on: January 30, 2021, 08:20:55 AM »
Morning folks, query before I start splashing the dosh, has anyone got a Pyramid Ducktail fitted to their bike who could post a photo so that I can see what it looks like fitted, also does it stop much crap from flying up on to the rear of the bike and topbox?

I have a Shock Sock fitted which works really well but my topbox gets really filthy when it rains 😟😟

Thanks.

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
Re: Pyramid Ducktail
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:26:01 AM »
Sorry for the tangent but do you mind saying which shock sock you use ?

RBW.

Offline Uczbpha

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRX
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
R & G mate, works very well, shock is spotless after 18 months. 

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Uczbpha [+]
Morning folks, query before I start splashing the dosh, has anyone got a Pyramid Ducktail fitted to their bike who could post a photo so that I can see what it looks like fitted, also does it stop much crap from flying up on to the rear of the bike and topbox?

I have a Shock Sock fitted which works really well but my topbox gets really filthy when it rains 😟😟

Thanks.
What the heck is a Duck Tail, for a Tiger ?

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 11:16:24 AM »
I had one of the Pyramid Ducktails and I also had one of the Triumph genuine extended rear mudguards (not sure if you can still buy these?) but to be honest nothing really works the back of the bike does tend to get a bit messy when it's wet.

Have a look at this thread https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,22799.0.html

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »
When I had my TEx 1200, I made one from a broken scooter mudguard I found while out walking.
My 800 has one made from a broken Ford transit mirror housing, yes, that I came across while out walking.
They both did/do a really good job of keeping the bulk of the crap off.
Easy to fabricate with a file, sharp knife, grinder etc.
Fixed to the reflector arm below the number plate.
Free.
Due to the success of these, I would assume that a proprietary item would be great.
Mine are about as wide as the number plate.

:031:

Offline markw

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 T800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 03:37:16 PM »
Hello Uczbpha,
Ive fitted one, found relatively cheap one on ebay.
I was a little disappointed as its quite narrow, at only 3.5.
It extends down from the numberplates bottom edge by around 4 to 4.5 depending on where you measure too, as the bottom edge of the ducktail is V shaped.
Dose it reduce road spray?
Yes, to some extent. But due to its narrow width it only really reduces the amount of stuff coming up off the centre of the tyre.
So there is a bit less dirt sprayed up onto the central area of the topbox, where the release catch and lock are.
In an attempt to improve matters a bit, Ive just added some 2mm thick rubber sheet behind the ducktail, extending it out to the width of the numberplate. But, what with current travel restrictions, Ive yet to see how much more spray this will stop.
The ducktail uses double sided tape to fix it to the Tigers reflector arm but I opted to drill a hole in it and use a numberplate screw to hold it in place instead.
Is it worth the cost?
Well, I dont know? I only paid around a tenner for mine. It helps some but as others here have said nothing is really going to stop all that spray coming up off the rear tyre.
If you like crafting and are handy with scissors and a knife you could probably fashion something entirely from some rubber sheet yourself for less.
Attached some pics 1 as originally fitted and 2 as it is now with the added rubber.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch