Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Check engine light.  (Read 565 times)

Offline Panagiotis

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: XCx 2015
Check engine light.
« on: February 01, 2021, 08:22:46 PM »
Hi everyone, I got an Xcx 800 '15 and I've had the check engine warning light a couple of times lately.
Both times was after a few days of not riding with very cold temperature. The bike did had just a bit of rough time starting up and the traction control warning light and check engine warning light came up.
After switching off the bike and turning on again the traction control light was off and the  check engine still on.
After a short ride the check ride dissapeared as well. Now it's the 3rd time that happened but I haven't had the time to take it for a ride.
I don't think the battery has been changed in a few years ( I got the bike used) although it reads 14.3-4v when reving but I'm thinking that it could be the battery and the warning light comes up as it gets a bit weakened and the electronics glimpse when it's cranking up?
Note that the bike runs perfect. Any suggestions? Has anyone had it before? I'll take it to a dealeship when I get some free time just wanna see if anyone else seen this before.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Check engine light.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 11:05:10 PM »
Hi, first I assume you don't have a lead and Tigertool downloaded so there is a way you can check to see if the ECU has logged any common fault codes.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,14967.0.html

Then based on your description I am inclined to agree with your questioning of the battery. I had to renew mine last September at 5yrs old as it suddenly failed to crank the engine. Given that a new battery will cost somewhere in the region, possibly a few pounds more, of an hours dealer labour charge I personally would change it and see if this rectifies the issue and know it will be good for the (hopefuly) coming summer riding season. As you said, all these modern electronickery bits do appear very suseptical to any wobbles away from a steady power supply. Even a hesitation reconnecting the earth lead to the battery can easily trigger the MIL fault light.

Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 01:13:48 AM »
If you haven't done so yet I would check the oil level

Chico

Offline Panagiotis

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 07:08:32 AM »
Stevie I wasn't aware of the procedure with the info and up button! I'll definitely give it a try today. Thanks! That was a very good tip. Chico yes, I've checked the oil level. Everything on the bike is OK and as I mentioned it also runs and sounds perfect. That's why I'm thinking it could just be the battery. 5 years is almost 3 times of how long batteries last in my country. 😂😂😂 I think being generally more cold in the UK helps them last this long.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 04:53:16 PM »
or ... YUASA YTX16-BS .... 72 at Halfords (usually on the shelf) without an additional 8 postage. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 06:43:44 PM »
Or Motobatt at around 60.00 inc carriage ebay.

Offline Panagiotis

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 10:31:08 PM »
I managed to get it for a check in the dealership today. Turns out my suspicion was correct. It was the battery, still running and charges though but in very cold temperatures drops a bit more and triggers the MIL. They asked for 80 (fitting included) for the same yuasa battery that it has and considering this one has been running good for 5 years, i don't see why i shouldn't go with the same. Obviously I can change a battery on my own but it's the same price and I get to have a look on the new triumphs as they do it. 😂😂😂

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »
The easy fixes are the best  :047:
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics