Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 Rally Pro - Be careful with the OEM crash bars!!!  (Read 2497 times)

Online VicXCrider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
Re: Tiger 900 Rally Pro - Be careful with the OEM crash bars!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
I just got this email from Heed

Hello,
Because of issues connected with Brexit, we need to fill some new documents for our courier to be able to ship to UK. We hope that in a week or 2, we will be able to collect all information needed for those documents and we able to resume shipments to UK. Please check our web shop from time to time, if UK is active in drop down list, it means that we can ship there again. The same situation is on eBay and we don't have any dealers in UK.
Regards
ZPH HEED J. Tokarz
Częstochowa, Poland

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 01:01:14 PM »
Be aware any price that may eventually get quoted by a seller outside the UK will be unlikely to (possibly) include: import taxes, VAT and a post office/courier admin/handling fee, all which will need paying in advance off or on delivery.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline chris89

• Tiger Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 02:03:10 PM »
I understand the comments about crash bars failing and I tend to agree.... if you crash hard enough none will survive..... however, that is not the case with what happened to me, it was a minor crash and one the bars could not withstand as they are poorly designed... I should have been able to tell in advance as they do not attach directly to the bottom of the frame, they attach via a flimsy system to the bottom crash bar and can easily rotate if enough pressure is applied... I decided to trust the product manufactured and sold by Triumph and now I regret it. Its funny, my bars are not bent or damaged.... only my bike is!! Due to the way they attach, they can easily rotate which is exactly what happened to me.... in all honesty, Triumph has marketed the rally pro as fully off road capable and should have not sold crash bars that could not withstand simple off road rides!

But hey, at the end of the day Im the one with a damaged brand new tiger 900 rally pro. Just trying to help others to avoid having to go through the same situation.

Guess we will have to wait a bit to get the heeds!

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 02:31:03 PM »
Out of curiosity I looked up the crash bars for the RP and if I had one, I think the heed have a too long "wire" suspended until the engine head connection, my choice would rather go to Hepco and Becker, they look more straight with less points to bend in, just my thoughts.

https://www.hepco-becker.de/en/meinbike/triumph/tiger-900-rally-gt-pro-2020/tankguard-white-for-triumph-tiger-900-rally-gt-pro-2020.html

It's a shame none of those manufacturers detail the tubing diameter and inner walls, like outback motortek do, because that's what you want to know.

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 03:22:10 PM »
The 900 tank design is a retrograde step in terms of drop resistance isn't it? That would have been a replaceable plastic panel on an 800.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 03:35:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
The 900 tank design is a retrograde step in terms of drop resistance isn't it? That would have been a replaceable plastic panel on an 800.

Having looked at my 800 and the 900 side by side at my dealer, I'd be very worried doing real off-road with a RP, watch carefully where the split radiators end on each sides, there is much less plastics margin until the outline of the bike than on the 800 and with my crash in may, still the radiator also warped... I think crash bars are pretty mandatory on a 900 !

It was the same story on my previous Africa twin, radiator was pretty exposed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 03:39:57 PM by Djairouks »

Offline Colinhitch

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 08:56:49 PM »
Ive crashed twice off road on the RP, first was at the triumph experience on hard welsh rock, bike was OK. Second was on mine on Salisbury plain wet mud, again OK.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Colinhitch [+]
Ive crashed twice off road on the RP, first was at the triumph experience on hard welsh rock, bike was OK. Second was on mine on Salisbury plain wet mud, again OK.

Sure if no rock goes through no problem, it won't happen so easily, but really the side plastic covers are not that much protection, I was very mindful of this on my Honda, because it was the same.

My 800 crash was on road and landed in the field, the radiator had no direct impact but warped anyway, now I installed protections !

Lucky man, I want to visit Wales next vacation hopefully, did Scotland, so now it's time for the South.

Offline TigerBC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 07:43:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by benx [+]
I'm not trying be insulting to anybody on this site, but is it possible we all expect a bit too much from crash bars. In reality it comes down to how they are mounted and depending on the impact, it might just come down to offering "some" protection but not "complete" protection. These are still relatively heavy bikes so even a minor impact could be severe. If the bike is sliding on its side the bars would be effective, but not so much a single point impact. Just a thought.

You're absolutely right.  Crash bars are protection from drops more than crashes.  If I end up in a crash scenario, I'd more concerned about the gear I'm wearing than the gear I attach to my bike.  Bikes and bike parts can always be replaced, me not so much.  If you ride off road, drops are to be expected and should be no big deal.  Except of course for the first drop with a new bike, that always hurts a bit for some reason.

Having said that, the OEM upper bars I had on my 800 mounted to the engine fairly low so were easily bendable up high.  If you hit them right, they'll bend and damage the parts they should be protecting.  The bars I have from Heed attach to the frame and have a brace between the two sides up high and that's why I think they offer much better protection than the OEM bars.  Just don't buy the OEM crash bars.

If you're not pushing yourself riding off road, you probably don't need the crash bars in the first place.  If you crash at speed on the highway, the damage to the bike should be the least of your concern.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »
I overcorrected once on my 2012 and dumped it on a gravel road turn, the OEM lower bars saved the engine getting rashed to sh*t so they're worthwhile even then but yeah I'd say they're mostly for when you forget to put the kickstand down.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch