Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel tank infill  (Read 499 times)

Offline Simukia

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XRx 2017.
Fuel tank infill
« on: February 11, 2021, 11:12:16 AM »
I recently bought Triumph tiger 800 XRx 2017. I wanted to clean the bike and used motul insect remover. So i sprayed it allover the bike and started wiping with cloth. And it did a great job until i reached the fuel tank infill (that is a small black plastic part on the side of the fuel tank) witch left black colour on the cloth and that plastic now looks a little smudged. So i would like to know is it possible that motul insect remover was too aggressive for that plastic (although the instructions say it is applicable for all motorcycle plastics) , or the previous owner painted it with something. Has anyone had similar experience.

Online samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
Re: Fuel tank infill
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 01:06:28 PM »
Maybe the previous owner has used a silicone plastic cleaner and you have wiped that off?

Try using a 'Back to black' type of car or motorcycle plastic finisher to get the colour back

Offline markw

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 T800 XCA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:54:00 PM »
I noticed that depositing of black on a cleaning cloth too the first time I cleaned my Tiger but I think it is because the infill panels are a softer, more rubber like plastic, not actual ABS plastic as found elsewhere on the Tiger. Like the plastic trim immediately adjacent to them, the instruments, chain guard etc...
I just avoid rubbing the two infill panels with any cleaning product now.

Offline 9w6vx

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XR 2019
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 12:01:35 AM »
I did notice that on my Tiger 800 too on a few occasions when I was cleaning the bike

The cloth had black deposits.
I only use water to wash the bike and then a damp clean towel to dry her up.

Offline Simukia

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XRx 2017.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 07:17:03 AM »
That is a little strange. Need to be careful not to get dirty these parts.

Recent Topics