Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Salt removal?  (Read 1002 times)

Online Matchbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Low
Salt removal?
« on: February 13, 2021, 06:03:06 PM »
What is recommended for cleaning a bike after winter ride on salted/gritted roads?

I do vaguely remember that its best not to rinse with warm water.

Is a quick wash down with cold water a good thing? And what if you then leave it wet?

Does a dose of Muckoff help first?

Im sure there are lots of suggestions out there but for me it must be quick and easy!

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
Re: Salt removal?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 07:01:43 PM »
Cold water for definite and certainly not warm or hot or you will activate the salt and a good long spray all over with cold water.

Muckoff would help but you need to wet the bike first before spraying with muckoff  and drying after would be the best thing to do but leaving the bike wet with fresh water would not be as bad as leaving it with road salt!

But leaving it wet would still encourage some corrosion

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 07:06:09 PM »
Whilst there are commercially available road salt neutralizers, there are home remedies too: in a bucket, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with a 1/2 cup of automotive wash and a 1/2 gallon of water - stir and apply.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
There is no substitute for elbow grease! After 35 years of riding winters and trying every variation of cleaner, nothing beats brushing/ wiping every surface, nook and cranny with a general cleaner and drying off as much as possible before spraying everything in GT85 (one hours riding = one hours cleaning for me). A right royal pain in the arse but it is the only thing that works for me. The only quick solution would be one of those large pet dryers to dry the bike out until you have the time to scrub!
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Offline Snownorge

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xrx
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 09:35:12 PM »
Yes cold water and what ever is your preferred choice of cleaner,SDOC 100 for me,bloody expensive but works best for me,dry as best you can then give it a coat of something too protect it and make it easier to clean next time,I use ACF 50 warmed and sprayed on through spray gun .

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 11:04:32 PM »
Road salt is mostly Sodium Chloride which is very soluble in water of any reasonable temperature. So a liberal hosing will remove the gross stuff. Road salt is not simply Sodium Chloride there are a lot of contaminants. So mineral scale is the other part. Some of these other minerals are more removable by mild acids like vinegar or oxalic acid.

In the hazmat business, dilution is the solution to pollution So hose off the salt with water and then see what is left. Then try a mild mineral removal spay. I have no idea what products might be available around the world so I would say look for calcium and scale preparations.

Online mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 08:45:47 AM »
All of the above re washing , but I also use a "pet Dryer" to blast the remaining water away. A pet Dryer is much cheaper than a Motorcycle dryer and it works well -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2800W-Pet-Hair-Dryer-Blower-Dog-Cat-Blaster-Dryer-Grooming-with-3-Nozzle/265042297649

Offline JonesTheBass

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800xrt
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 12:01:32 PM »
Probably not the most efficient but I... hose down with cold water, then apply SDC100, then hose again, then warm water with turtle wax cleaner, then hose again, then dry off, then FS365!
Ridiculous, I know  :015:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 10:40:34 AM »
Cold water is the best & cheapest.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Jonjak

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »
Is there any tips for a good brush. I want a brush for getting behind the headers and around the rear shock and also wheels. Some of you guys are so good a keeping your bikes like new. Im wanting to become a cleaning nerd.🤓

Recent Topics

winded-staunch