Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Downshifting to 3rd whilst coming up to the traffic lights - engine shut down  (Read 694 times)

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2016 Tiger800XRT
Well that's a first one for me. Bike is a 2016 with 48000km.
I remember seeing this problem before but on first gen Tigers(?). Did a quick search now but have to investigate further when i get back home from work.

Could unbalanced throttle bodies cause this? After having the valve clearances adjusted by my mechanic a few months back i noticed vibration on the handlebars that made my hands go numb  so i checked using the Tigertool. And yes the throttle bodies are unbalanced.

Have a great week everybody

Offline Tigermainia

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '18 XRt
Happens on newer models as well, my '18 XRt suffered as well (from new) have described it on here some time ago. Had it 'sorted' under warranty but still suspect occasionally!!!!
From '61>present - '57 BSA C12, RE C/Sports, '59 Tiger 110, '61 T120R, '57 BMW R50, '76 GT185, '69 T120, KE 175, BMW R75, GSX750, FJ1200, XJR1300, FZ1000, '05 Sprint1050 & '08 Str Triple, Sprint1050, Sp/triple, Sprint1050, SprintGT, Trophy 1215, Speedtriple & '12 Bonne, '15 XRx,'18 XRt, Trident 660

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
will look for your post.
In my case it must be some kind of switch since it happened for the first time after 50K km. Maybe the side-stand or the kill switch? Strange

Offline Bwana

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 14 Tiger 800
My Mechanic told me to watch out for that when the valves wear they get tight... Can you verify if you've had them adjusted to spec or more "Open"? He adjusted my intakes to middle and exhaust on open side of spec.  That was just before I parked it for the winter.

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
*Originally Posted by Bwana [+]
My Mechanic told me to watch out for that when the valves wear they get tight... Can you verify if you've had them adjusted to spec or more "Open"? He adjusted my intakes to middle and exhaust on open side of spec.  That was just before I parked it for the winter.
Whilst your mechanic was on-target when mentioning valve adjustment technique, I think he may've erred if you think he advised that insufficient valve clearance will, as the OP described in his query, cause an unsuspected engine shutdown?
My thoughts are more in the realm of some stray voltage signal (or intermittent lack of...) causing the ECU to shut-off (temporarily)?  :187:
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
I really dont know details on how exactly the valves were adjusted. Hope it doesn't happen again. If it does i will have to act on it.
Dont know if this is connected but also noticed the day it happened that gear shift lever feels looser somehow

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
*Originally Posted by kokkios [+]
.... i checked using the Tigertool. And yes the throttle bodies are unbalanced.

As you have Tigertool what 'Tune No.' is loaded.

My 2015 XRt was last updated around Sept 2016 but didn't appear to have any newer update on the 2nd (Sept 17) or 3rd (Sept 18) official Triumph service.

There was a few reports of similar symptoms early on with gen 2 bikes, mine included (and a few gen 3 reports) but when I mentioned it at the 6k service I was informed that the ECU update would cure it. Sceptical as I was that I was being fobbed off it did turn out something did occur as I never had the issue again (4.5yrs no issue).
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,17271.0.html
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,25406.msg281249.html#msg281249
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,19875.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
Appears to be the same tune as yours Stevie. I have the Arrow pipe on. Also during last service the throttle body rubber seals were changed because they developed cracks.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Although showing as 'unbalanced' it isn't very much variation, I don't think it would have very much effect in the engine stalling.
Is that with the engine just started up specifically to use Tigertool or after a run when all at working temperature, it does have an effect.

This was the first time I ever used Tigertool and I only ran the bike to see how it worked. I had a comment that those readings appeared low.

However here I used Tigertool after I rode it first to get it up to full temperature.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online kokkios

• Tiger Master
61-60-58 immediately when started from cold

63-62-61 after it reached 3 bars

Recent Topics