Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Not Covered to ride other Bikes in EU  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
Re: Not Covered to ride other Bikes in EU
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
That's correct, or at least it matches what my policies have said for a number of years.

Also, some UK policies don't give you the same level of cover, for say theft, if you take your bike to Europe. They cover the minimum 3rd party required but often that's about it.

I have never picked up on this fact,  :430: Me & the missus even rode my bike back from South Spain sharing the riding so she was illegal everytime  :431:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:15:37 PM by Flyingbanana »
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 07:13:11 PM »
Also worth noting that although a comprehensive policy may cover you to ride / drive someone else's bike/ car in the UK, there are often caveats in the small print
1- is that it cannot be a family members bike / car - or another vehicle registered to yourself
2 is that you are often only covered for third party - so if you bend it and its your own fault then it is not covered for repair, if you drop a mates bike that can be expensive.

Worth checking for both of these before you ride the other half bike on your own cover.

Online Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 09:25:19 PM »
I rest my case, seems to be some special Arrangement you have on that island of yours.
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 09:37:01 PM »
Too complicated, on purpose no doubt. :005:

Chico

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 09:44:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
I rest my case, seems to be some special Arrangement you have on that island of yours.
In the UK our insurance generally covers named drivers / riders for a specific vehicle and we have two main variations.

Third Party fire and theft only - generally lower cost but only pays out to someone that you hit as your fault, or if your vehicle is stolen or bursts into flames. If you hit a tree or someone else then it won't pay to repair your vehicle.

Comprehensive - pays out for both the costs to someone you hit and to repair your own vehicle

There are variations - such as multi vehicle policies that will cover for example all vehicles you own for one person to drive but generally its one of the first two that we have.

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »
 :493:
Yep
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 03:43:58 PM »

I think the inscos decided that they weren't making enough profit from us.

When I started riding, a bit over 40 years ago, Norwich Union did a rider policy which is what you and chico describe. However, a few years later, they dropped it, so we had to insure specific vehicles. Some incos do multi-vehicle policies so we can cover a certain number of bikes on one policy (the most I've encountered has been four). These policies also give cover for riding somebody else's bike, generally restricted to third party (so don't borrow somebody's bike and get it stolen). You can also be put on somebody else's policy as a named driver, which increases the level of cover. It seems that there are additional restrictions (depending on the insurer) when travelling in the EU.

The last time I went to the EU on the bike was to Ireland in 2017 (when the UK was also in the EU) and I did have to let my insco know I was going - there was a limit of something like 90 days elsewhere in the EU on that policy. As riding other people's bikes has never affected me abroad, I've never looked into the insurance implications.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics

winded-staunch