Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Startup after long period  (Read 972 times)

Offline Thazza66

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
Startup after long period
« on: February 17, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »
My bikes has been laid up in Spain during lockdown and by the time I get over there to use it again it's going to be 1 1/2 to 2 years since it was started. What is the best way to go about getting it going again after I've charged the battery. Should I start it up then change the oil or should I change the oil without even firing up. Any other things I should be wary of?

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
Re: Startup after long period
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 02:51:01 PM »
Petrol will need changing.
R1250RT.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 04:23:55 PM »
Battery will be shot.

Did it have fresh oil in when it was stored?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:26:39 PM by Paulhere »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Tenequip

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 02:07:05 AM »
Suggest you drain the fuel & replace with fresh high test fuel, before attempting to start the bike. The oil should also be changed, because it is contaminated. I would suggest you change the oil after the initial start and the motor has come up to operating temperature. This should eliminated as much of the contamination as possible. Cold oil will no drain very well at all and leave the contaminates in the engine.

Good luck!

Offline Thazza66

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 07:57:02 AM »
Just an update for other people's reference. I eventually made it back to the bike after 22 months. The battery was flat but an overnight charge brought it back to life and it's performing well. I siphoned much though not all of the existing fuel from the tank and topped up with new. Bike fired up OK, a little rough at first but soon cleaned up. Changed oil and filter. Took bike for Spanish ITV (MOT) inspection including emissions check and it passed no problem.

Recent Topics