Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine management light on after flat battery  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Alan215

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph tiger
Engine management light on after flat battery
« on: February 19, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
Hello I had a flat battery yesterday went for a ride to top it up as only doing short journeys (2 miles to work) but noticed lights were getting dimmer so turned around noticed engine management light on so pulled over to see if I could reset it but would not start after anyway got it home put it on charge overnight so this morning tested battery 13 v connected it to bike put ignition on dropped to 12v when started and reved  still 12v so told its not changing prior to this I changed the regulater rectifier (not a genuine one) as I was getting pulsing lights and higher reves this in turn stopped that so though all was good but now the other issue can anyone help
Thanks

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Engine management light on after flat battery
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
12v with engine running. 
RR & / or battery. Probably replace both though.  Check wiring and connectors to RR as well.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Alan215

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:04:11 PM »
Hello already changed the rr phoned triumph to see what they say and they said could b alternator 50 to check 400-500 to replace not changed battery as thats 120 but if I knew it was definitely that not a problem but dont want to shell 120 out if its not that

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
Sounds like stator, can you test it. Could be something basic, connector?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:28:14 PM by Paulhere »
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 12:30:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Alan215 [+]
... not changed battery as thats 120 ...

That's almost twice the price you can easily get a quality replacement from numerous outlets, Motobatt 71 ebay, even Halfords would only be around 72 and do yourself.

Even before addressing the possible charging issue take the battery out and look for any date markings. If it is the original 2014 battery then it has likely had its day regardless of the charging issue ... and possibly even giving false charging indications. My 2015 battery died last September so if yours is original 2014 IMO 6yrs is acceptable on a bike. If it is that old I would renew, fully charge and then recheck the charging figures at the battery before looking deeper.

How old is the 'new' R/R and where did you source it.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Alan215

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 12:47:35 PM »
Hello the rr is only two days old got from eBay new spoke to triumph about it and there saying as long as the connections are the same same size ect it will b fine Ive phoned them again to book it into diagnostic but carnt get it in till the 3/3/21 no were open at least I will know either way instead of guessing
Thanks again for your time

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:53:55 PM »
Hello the rr is only two days old got from eBay new spoke to triumph about it and there saying as long as the connections are the same same size ect it will b fine Ive phoned them again to book it into diagnostic but carnt get it in till the 3/3/21 no were open at least I will know either way instead of guessing

Let us know the outcome for future reference.

Good luck for a cheap & easy fix.
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Alan215

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »
Will do thanks for helping

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »

This is becoming my stock response.

Buyer Beware....There are a lot of poor RR copies on eBay, and elsewhere. Even reputable suppliers have what appears to be a higher than expected failure rate.
A genuine Triumph one, or a good used original would be my recommendation.
Of course if there is an issue with the Stator, or wiring, it won't help.

Offline Alan215

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 11:43:15 AM »
Hello little update looked on here about resetting the engine management light and said to run it through a heat cycle 3 times so let it run so fan comes on 3 times Ive turned it off now do u have to let it cool 3 times also put a tester on the battery its 12v with nothing on when cranked it dropped to 10v then immediately whens back to 12v so does this keen its not changing
Thanks

Recent Topics