Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Very Basic Maintenance Questions - XRX Low New Owner  (Read 403 times)

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 XRx Low
Very Basic Maintenance Questions - XRX Low New Owner
« on: February 19, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »
I have a new to me 2018 XRX 800 low and have some very basic questions.

Is a service manual available?

Is there an easy way to hold it vertical to check fluids? There is no center stand.
I have a Chinese lift table and attempted to roll it on, steady with side stand and then strap down but the side stand sticks out quite a bit so there is not enough space to center on lift and put stand down.  I have a MC specific scissor lift but am unsure what it can press on.  Do I need a motorcycle race stand?

Can you buy or modify a center stand to work on the low model without concerns of dragging on the ground?  I don't see a place on the frame to mount a stand.

Is 1/2" of chain play about right when on the side stand?  The bike was supposedly just serviced.

Is there a way to see the coolant level through the smoky container?

Thanks

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: Very Basic Maintenance Questions - XRX Low New Owner
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:18:08 PM »
I don't have all the answers but as far as the lift, I have one of those as well. I built a small platform the same height as the lift floor out of any pieces of lumber I had laying around. It's about two feet long, I place it where I think the side stand will land.
When the weather gets warmer I plan on building two platforms, one for each side to be long enough so that I can plant my feet as I ride the bike up onto the lift.
You should be able to see the coolant through the little slot on the right, it is a little faint and you need the light at a certain angle. If you don't see the fluid, it might not be there.

Chico

Offline pme

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:59:48 PM »
There is a haynes manual for that model, or search for tritun, you can download the offical service manual based on your vin for a relatively small fee
Also DRZ400sm for forest tracks, previous bikes:- Honda SS50, BSA 250SS80, Yamaha RD125, Yamaha TY250, Honda CBR600, Honda Africa Twin XRV750, Kawasaki KMX200, Kawasaki KDX200, Kawasaki KLX250

Offline diggerled

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800XC
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:57:25 PM »
Roseville near Sacramento?

Checking fluids and chain, the bike should be standing balanced, upright. 1/2" on the chain seems a little snug but the low has very little suspension travel so that may be correct. (my long suspension travel XC adjusts up to 1-1/8") If you are having difficulty seeing the coolant level, you can pop the cap and lay a lit flashlight (torch to those on the east side) on the coolant reservoir opening. That really brings up the color of the fluid.

There is a lot to mounting a center stand. Not just a few bolts. And the low doesn't have a stand offered because of, as you speculate, it would drag in curves.
You cannot win by making your neighbor lose.

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 12:05:13 AM »
Also, is there a secret to looking up parts?  On US sites by year and model some fairing parts are different.  On a UK site going by VIN, the part looks correct.   

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: others
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 01:35:57 AM »
I'm an new 800 owner but haven't recieved it yet so who am i to say!  Anyway, re fluid levels, i check my other bike's oil level by simply holding it upright off the sidestand and looking at the sight guage.  As long as it's somewhere between the upper and lower marks, better a wee bit lower than too high, don't top it up over the top mark. As for the coolant, take the cap off the expansion tank and dip it with a pencil or a screw driver or something if you can't see through the sight guage.  As per diggerled, the chain seems a bit tight, i'd always leave it with about 1.5" of play.  Too tight can damage bearrings/seals etc and you might find gear selection snatchy.
A paddock stand is a good investment for your garage if you haven't got a centre stand.  Handy for all sorts of jobs.

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 10:38:44 AM »
Checking chain and  fluid levels is a pain in the rear end - as from my experience the only way to be sure that you have it right is to have the bike stood upright - not on a centre stand - while you check - chain especially tends to vary if its done any other way.
Various people have different methods - ie set it like that the first time then measure it when it's on a stand and use that as an indicator for future checks - my method is to get Mrs Shergar to balance the bike while I do the checks and keep the side stand down so if she has to let go it can hopefully drop back onto that, it  :001:makes her feel technical !

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »
The chain was tight.  I managed to measure the sag with bike vertical and no weight on it.  The I used a tie strap to pull the suspension down and match that sag on the side stand.  I checked again on the side stand with no strap and it was about the same.  So on this bike with midget suspension it does not make a lot of difference.   

Recent Topics