Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Reduce Throttle Pull on Throttle by Wire  (Read 1281 times)

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2018 XRx Low
Reduce Throttle Pull on Throttle by Wire
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:22:09 AM »
My new to me 2018 Tiger requires more force to turn the throttle than my old GSX1250.  Is there a way to reduce the force needed?  I assume the electronic unit has a spring inside.  Can you get it apart and change the spring?  Or can the electronic unit be swapped out?

Offline barry.t100sr

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
Re: Reduce Throttle Pull on Throttle by Wire
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:42:36 AM »
 I think there is something wrong with it Mcman.  Most ride-by-wire twist grips have a very light action, some of us find it a bit too light on bumpy roads.

Does it need lubrication ?
Two Tents
1965 T100SR
1991 Trophy 1200
2016 Tiger 800XR

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 11:44:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by mcman56 [+]
My new to me 2018 Tiger requires more force to turn the throttle than my old GSX1250.  Is there a way to reduce the force needed?

Never heard of anyone here having an issue with the FBW throttle being stiff. In the very early days of FBW I recall some riders, after decades of cable throttles, feeling the throttle was far too light and there was a special grease suggested/recommended (even in a bike magazine article I read) to use on the throttle tube that added a bit of resistance to the motion. I guess a very light coat of some sort of waterproof (silicon?) grease on the throttle tube might help? :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 03:53:51 PM »
Is it springing back ok? if not are you sure the throttle grip isn't rubbing against the instrument cluster?

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 04:53:28 PM »
It could be that what I'm feeling is more of an ergonomic issue than force.  (I have beat up forearms).  I'll try repositioning the bars.  Can you put standard aftermarket bars on these bikes?  I noticed that the throttle tube does not want to slide off of the bar.  I can see a couple of wires in the tube and part of the handlebar end is cut away. 

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 07:39:39 PM »
Mine felt much stronger than expected too, quite uncomfortable after an hour or so. Grip puppies are your friend, fixed it for me.

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 02:17:56 AM »
Could it be that earlier models came with a softer throttle mechanism?  When did the ride by wire first come on the tiger or even other models?

Offline Woody800

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800 XCx
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 07:03:20 AM »
Are you sure nothing is interfering with the end on the throttle tube? E.g. hand guards not properly fitted or poorly installed heated grips.

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 11:59:11 PM »
It is just spring pressure.  Not real stiff just stiffer than I would like and stiff enough that I can't see anyone complaining.  I see earlier models came with the e throttle built into the switch gear.  This one has a separate unit, maybe because of heated grips.  Could the tension be different?

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 06:09:19 AM »
RBW Tigers came with the 2015 update.

Recent Topics