Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Got the new baby home! :)  (Read 1813 times)

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
Got the new baby home! :)
« on: February 24, 2021, 08:13:46 PM »
Well folks, we finally pulled the trigger and brought home a lovely 2013 Tiger 800 XC!!

She purrs like a kitty and goes like a cheetah :D  :417:

As per my other post, I'll spend some quality time with her doing a bit of maintenance work over the weekend but I already have a bunch of silly questions typical of a newbie.

Sidestand...   I feel like the bike leans quite a bit where the wifey almost struggled a little bit to take her backup and out of the stand, is that normal? Stand looks super long, wondering if it's just like that and we'll have to get used to it or maybe it has an aftermarket one?

On the same topic, previous owner fitted an allegedly SW-Motec center stand and it jacks the backwheel up in the air really, really high.... again, normal?? Never seen a back wheel coming up that high on a center stand to be honest.

Again, really happy with the purchase. No pics as we picked it up when it was dark but I'll take her out tomorrow and take a few snaps after giving her a proper wash of course.

Cheers
Rami

Offline Whoa

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XRX
Re: Got the new baby home! :)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 07:48:10 PM »
Good luck with her and look forward to the pictures
Whoa

Offline darylb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 11:26:59 AM »
Being a short arse I find the standard centrestand is quite high and getting the bike on it is not easy, 1 trick is to use a piece of wood just over 1"" thick under the back wheel. The side stand is quite substantial and the bike does lean and being quite tall is not the easiest to stand up. One of the perils of adventure bike ownership I'm afraid. Despite all this still a cracking bike. Enjoy.

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by darylb [+]
Being a short arse I find the standard centrestand is quite high and getting the bike on it is not easy, 1 trick is to use a piece of wood just over 1"" thick under the back wheel. The side stand is quite substantial and the bike does lean and being quite tall is not the easiest to stand up. One of the perils of adventure bike ownership I'm afraid. Despite all this still a cracking bike. Enjoy.

Yup, I'm using the plank of wood trick not to break my back. Not ideal for a on the road though...   

It's not an ADV bike thing though, it's just poor design if I'm honest. I have a GS which is much bigger and heavier and using the center stand is a breeze no "extra tools" needed.

But again, not a huge problem with the center stand... what really worries me is the side stand. Bike really leans at a 45 degree angle, wondering if there's anything wrong with the mounting point or if that's just the way it is.

It's like the side stand goes out forward way too much, almost like a cruiser bike. On a quick visual inspection, I don't see any signs of stressed metal, side stand itself looks straight as an arrow, so I wonder if the mounting bracket has seen better days???

Bike was lowered at some point with shorter wishbones, now back to stock but the stand doesn't seem to have been shortened or changed.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »
A complaint often levelled at the Tiger is that the sidestand is too close to vertical and it's easy for the bike to roll forward off it. Could it be that the sidestand or mounting has been modified to point further forward because of that issue and because it's been lowered? Have you compared it with pictures of other Tigers to see if there's a difference?
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 11:58:18 AM »
It's difficult to compare via photos as it all depends on the angle you take the picture.

I've tried my best to get a snap and show you guys, but it depends on how I take the pic it looks better or worse than it actually is... I'll see if I can figure out any reference points.

Would any of you be able to share a quick snap of your side stand?

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »
Here are a bunch of pics...    I can't see anything wrong with it comparing to "stock" brackets... if it's what it is, then I'll probably go either for a custom sidestand or a taller foot or something like that, the wifey struggles to bring the bike up right.

Offline rayjay

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XRX DR400
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 01:26:59 PM »
If the bike had been lowered the PO may have fitted an XR sidestand ,

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 01:35:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by rayjay [+]
If the bike had been lowered the PO may have fitted an XR sidestand ,

How can I tell the difference?

Offline Siberian800

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 XRT
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 01:36:31 PM »
It looks to me like you have the low version sidestand fitted. The leg stand does stick out at that sort of angle.
If it's been lowered, the stand was probably changed so the bike didn't tip over the other way, especially with a bit of wind!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch