Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Idle speed rising/hunting with clutch in  (Read 431 times)

Offline 1157jonboy

• Tiger Member
  • They tell me the throttle works both ways.
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Idle speed rising/hunting with clutch in
« on: February 28, 2021, 07:11:08 AM »
Hi folks Ive recently bought a 2018 800 XCA and I love it to bits. However Ive noticed at idle with the clutch pulled in the idle seems to rise and then lower which I had to constantly think about when filtering through Londons traffic last night. Its not drastic but wondered if its normal or not? Also is there a way to take up the slack in the throttle grip? I like mine with hardly any play in it.

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
Re: Idle speed rising/hunting with clutch in
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:05:29 AM »
Well the idle revs go up slightly when you let the clutch go, never noticed that this happens when the clutch is pulled. Maybe clutch cable is too tight and not enough play?
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 02:09:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by 1157jonboy [+]
Hi folks Ive recently bought a 2018 800 XCA and I love it to bits. However Ive noticed at idle with the clutch pulled in the idle seems to rise and then lower which I had to constantly think about when filtering through Londons traffic last night. Its not drastic but wondered if its normal or not? Also is there a way to take up the slack in the throttle grip? I like mine with hardly any play in it.

It's an electronic 'fly-by-wire' throttle. No such thing as 'slack'. But, your Mode selection will affect throttle response and feel. Try the 'twisty road' setting.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline 1157jonboy

• Tiger Member
  • They tell me the throttle works both ways.
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 02:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the info. I knew there was no cable but there is slack/free play  in the twistgrip itself, so just wondered if there was any way of adjusting it. I now have the bike in sport (twisty road) mode and its definitely improved. Ill keep it in that mode for a few days and see how it goes. Cheers.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:35:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1157jonboy [+]
Thanks for the info. I knew there was no cable but there is slack/free play  in the twistgrip itself, so just wondered if there was any way of adjusting it. I now have the bike in sport (twisty road) mode and its definitely improved. Ill keep it in that mode for a few days and see how it goes. Cheers.

There are kits with a rubber buffer type thing. The missingdenflyer fitted such a device to one of his Ducati's
There is a kit for Triumphs as well.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Recent Topics