Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 800XRt - Removing Throttle Restriction?  (Read 1453 times)

Offline paul_o

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: coming soon
Re: 2016 800XRt - Removing Throttle Restriction?
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 03:47:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk
I thought the ECU's were locked down now?

Me too, which is why I'd discounted another T800/900 - I just want a little more grunt (and if folks reading feel compelled to say "it's got plenty of power......" - maybe for you. 

I never understood the stupid header back on the original T800 and I don't get why they didnt just improve the performance on later ones (and especially the 900!).  If the tracer can deliver the power and the economy it does, why do triumph strangle the 800/900?  Doesnt make sense
 :027:
-------------------------
?? coming soon.....
11 Tiger 800 Road (long gone)
13 Tiger 1050 sport (long gone)
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 05:03:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by paul_o [+]
Me too, which is why I'd discounted another T800/900 - I just want a little more grunt (and if folks reading feel compelled to say "it's got plenty of power......" - maybe for you. 

I never understood the stupid header back on the original T800 and I don't get why they didnt just improve the performance on later ones (and especially the 900!).  If the tracer can deliver the power and the economy it does, why do triumph strangle the 800/900?  Doesnt make sense
 :027:

I think it's a simple case of reliability, all people here say how these engines are capable or 100 of 1000km, but it might simply not have the material science and coatings would require too extract now power safely.
Mt-10 Vs R1 are a five example of this, they cut the power not only to make one more road usable, but one has crazy piston chambers surface treatments and if I remember well forged magnesium parts, that the other does not have.

But tbh, these high rpm limitations might be more of a exhaust velocity restriction, I once talked to a reputable injection engineer and he told me all modern motorcycles, around 9k or more, are limited by the exhaust/cathalytic converter flow restriction, you just can't get the flow out fast enough for the intake to be totally open.

Offline paul_o

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Djairouks

But tbh, these high rpm limitations might be more of a exhaust velocity restriction, I once talked to a reputable injection engineer and he told me all modern motorcycles, around 9k or more, are limited by the exhaust/cathalytic converter flow restriction, you just can't get the flow out fast enough for the intake to be totally open.
Thats what drill bits are for, right...
 :007:
?? coming soon.....
Aprilia RSVR

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2021, 07:05:24 PM »

Yeah my mechanic told me he can do it and it's good  :008:, still debating with myself !

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 08:44:54 AM »

More a spade bit on an SDS drill

Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline pjensen641

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2016 Tig 800 XRt
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »
Interesting discussion.  Does anyone have proof that a cat converter flow restriction has any tie with the designed electronic throttle restriction?  I'm not sure I see it.

I believe its more plausible to suggest it is for the 95 HP EU A2 license limitation. 

I'm not sure I see why elevated exhaust back pressure does anything but limit power intrinsically, but I have not seen that thee would be a need to ensure a limitation for reliability reasons?  I do know that manufacturers have to richen up the mixture at high power conditions to keep from overheating the Cat converter, so maybe that is a similar idea.

The way I see it, you can never access the top end for more than a coupe seconds, so I am not to worried about it.  If the cat converter fails, I will eliminate it, but I much prefer to keep it there to reduce emissions and smell if it is doing its job just fine.

Ducati runs 208 hp through cat converters that aren't a huge amount larger than ours....

Here is a link to Trimphs own site advertising A2 license friendly bikes....
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/public-content-uk/a2-license

Een though A2 is actually a 35kW limitation, it sounds like the bike itself, in an "unrestricted" state, can not make more than 95hp.  The following was stolen from another forum...

"The whole reason your STriple is restricted is because of that new silly EU A2 license people get before getting the A1. In order to limit a bike to 35kw/47cv (34ps) the bike has to first be over 175kg and be no more than 70kw/95cv (98ps) from 'factory'."

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/95hp-st3-question.186673/#post-2019232
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:12:39 PM by pjensen641 »

Offline paul_o

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 09:58:00 PM »
I have no comment about the drivers for restrictions.

how do they achieve it? has to be some form of limiter - and it makes perfect sense to do it with. a map, so it follows that emissions could well be the same

as for the cat removal debate - years of tinkering with cars and bikes, and the wisdom of folks much better qualified with me, all come together to suggest that the better an engine breathes (in and out) = better power

i decanted my tiger sport 1050 and had a custom map made - net result 127rwbhp from an engine that was listed as 125bhp at flywheel

fast enough to tough it out with a multi strata 1200 on a drag race well into 3 figures

so ill go with decat every time

sorry flipper
?? coming soon.....
Aprilia RSVR

Recent Topics

winded-staunch